Long winded

Hi Mike,

It may not have caught up with you yet, but I am slowly, ever so slowly, building a business in reproduction pickelhaube parts.

You have heard of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?" Well, I have probably seen more bad and ugly than most so have become very, very skeptical about the whole lot.

On the subject of gilding of issue badges, would some of the more experienced members please wade in?

I am not saying that there are absolutely not gilt issue badges. It does strike me, though, that our frugal Prussian friends would be more likely to issue brass and get the lads in the ranks polishing furiously rather than make lives easy with gilt birds.

Private purchase birds are an entirely different kettle of fish, mind you.

Any takers?

Cheers,

Laurie

Private purchase birds are an entirely different kettle of fish,
I do not like fish, but I would tend to agree that issue Wappen for ORs would be polished brass, but private purchase Wappen would be made by the same manufacturer, and every NCO who could afford it, would be inclined to have a gilded Wappen, as that would be the most difficult bit of brass to polish.
Gus

Gus you are stepping into the upgrade theory. To add insult to injury would simply ask, how can you tell if it is gilded? Some wappen are flat finished and sparkly. What about these?

Ya got me there Joe, but I would suspect that quality and methods of finish varied greatly over time. I still do not like fish.
Best wihses
Gus
PS there is an M15 Shako listed on flebay!

Hey!

Fish is good for your eyesight! Millions of cats can't be wrong!

Joe, as to the gilding, I could be wrong, but if you look at the photo it looks like worn flash-gilding.

In any event, I am inclined to accept Gus' suggestion because he agrees with me.

Everyone! It just occurred to me! Gus has been trying to throw us off the scent for months! It's not a guy hiding under that gasmask and bulky greatcoat! It's the closest we'll ever get to Miss World in battle dress - Would have driven them mad in the trenches!

Cheers,

Laurie

Hey L., whats 'Flash Gilding'? - is that spoof? - different from fire and mercury? The gilt issue plates I have seem kosher. The bayern gilt next to the bayern brass - no diference except the gilding on one of them! Same weight, detail, old solder [ both have loops] thickness, size and 'crud' factor.So is one p.purchase or what.

I wish I could work this bloody camera/computer set up!! Margo - Help!!

PS there is an M15 Shako listed on flebay!

Hear me heathens and wizards and serpents of sin, all thine dastardly doings are passed. For a holy endeavor is now to begin, and virtue shall triumph at last... :???:

Flash gilding???

Has anyone even noticed that at 4 3/4" tall it is too big to be a Tschako eagle? That is the size (and it looks like) a normal line chicken.

looky here for a refresher on sizes:

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45

And to add to your discussion Laurie, many of the issued line chicken have some sort of gilding. I have an unissued one that is bright and frosty like you would not believe. With loops on the back, it was not private purchase. There was probably a lot of variance in manufacturers as well to consider.

Back