M 1915 Garde du Corp helmet

Way to go Steve. So the star is magnetic but the black eagle center appears to be Tombak? A separate underlay. Never expected that, but like James, I’ve only seen one or two, but never handled one.

Way to go Steve. So the star is magnetic but the black eagle center appears to be Tombak? A separate underlay. Never expected that, but like James, I’ve only seen one or two, but never handled one.
Yes Tony I had not seen that before but it is 100 % to me
I have G d C ( ? ) M1915 helmets with 1 piece Feldgrau front plates
BUT they did not attract a magnet
Also I have seen M1915 G d C ( ? ) helmets with a pre war plate
I posted on the site asking members to post photos of M 1915
G d C helmets in their collections
I did not get a single reply
I have seen M1915 K R 2 & Saxon Garde Reiter helmets
Steve

I love these helmets and keep a file of images on them. What I have questions about however is what the Garde du Corps, Garde Kurassier, Garde Reiter regiments actually did when they wore them? Were they worn in Berlin with feldgrau uniforms on parade? Were they assigned special tasks in the field? Were they expected to function as cavalry units? Do we have any posts on this on the site?

I love these helmets and keep a file of images on them. What I have questions about however is what the Garde du Corps, Garde Kurassier, Garde Reiter regiments actually did when they wore them? Were they worn in Berlin with feldgrau uniforms on parade? Were they assigned special tasks in the field? Were they expected to function as cavalry units? Do we have any posts on this on the site?
Would you please post the photos of your files ?
I think that they wore them out into the field and into combat
there were covers for the Kurassiere helmets
I am sure as the war continued these cavalry units became dismounted
thanks
Steve

Good evening Steve,
Beautifull helmet. l am on holiday. I will post mine when I return next Thursday and answer the question.

Last edited:
Would you please post the photos of your files ?
I think that they wore them out into the field and into combat
there were covers for the Kurassiere helmets
I am sure as the war continued these cavalry units became dismounted
thanks
Steve
Here is one I found easily. I don't remember the source. I think have others from way back. I'll look. Thinking of them as a ceremonial regiment, I didn't know the Garde du Corps were ever deployed in the field during war time which is why I find these helmets interesting.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 59
  • s-l1600-5.jpg
    s-l1600-5.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 47
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 46
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 46
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 1915 Garde Kurassier Plate.png
    1915 Garde Kurassier Plate.png
    346.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Garde du Corps Plate 1915 2.png
    Garde du Corps Plate 1915 2.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Here is one I found easily. I don't remember the source. I think have others from way back. I'll look. Thinking of them as a ceremonial regiment, I didn't know the Garde du Corps were ever deployed in the field during war time which is why I find these helmets interesting.
Thanks for the post and the photos
Steve

Back