M1871 sold as M1895

Jaap Verduijn

Every now and then I browse and encounter (to me) hitherto unknown websites about Pickelhauben. This time I found a vendor International Military Antiques (IMA) with several interesting offers like the one in the link.

Unless I've completely lost it (my family will now immediately holler: "Yes he has! Yes he has!"), this helmet sold by IMA as "Original German WWI Prussian M1895 Infantry Officer Pickelhaube" is neither "Officier" nor "M1895". It's unmistakably a Mannschaftshelm M1871, and seems a good and honest piece to me - apart from the superfluous Prussian Kokarde on the left side but that's dealt with in seconds.

As y'all know I have been out of serious collecting for a long time, so I'm kind of out of touch with prices for the (relatively) rare stuff like M1871's, and unfortunately I'm not only out of touch but also (still) out of money so I won't buy this one anyway. But if I would, and if I could, what do y'all think of the price of $995? This equals 798 euros which doesn't seem high at all to me for an apparently good and honest M1871. Whaddayah reckon?

And what about International Military Antiques? Anybody know them? It's kind of weird that they make this kind of a mistake in the description. Are they generally knowledgeable?

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-german-wwi-prussian-m1895-infantry-officer-pickelhaube-helmet-with-chin-scales

Jaap Verduijn said:
Unless I've completely lost it (my family will now immediately holler: "Yes he has! Yes he has!"), this helmet sold by IMA as "Original German WWI Prussian M1895 Infantry Officer Pickelhaube" is neither "Officier" nor "M1895". It's unmistakably a Mannschaftshelm M1871, and seems a good and honest piece to me - apart from the superfluous Prussian Kokarde on the left side but that's dealt with in seconds.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-german-wwi-prussian-m1895-infantry-officer-pickelhaube-helmet-with-chin-scales

Don't let them know about the price, they'll double it. It is odd that they would make a mistake like that. Usually they try to identify their pieces correctly. They will sell anything for a buck (US term of endearment for money), but tell you what it is. They do sell many reproduction piece but say they are. Prices are generally on the high side, but I know they also paid well when they purchase a piece. And they do come up with some unusual items from time to time. They are must more up on British military or WWII stuff.

Kokade appear to be reproductions that are on the piece and there are two.

J.LeBrasseur said:
Well someone told them it is listed as a M1871 now

It wasn't me, James (grin)! Indeed, they have changed the description, and at least the first paragraph now fits the object. Further down the text they still state "The crown of this leather helmet displays a tall officers spike", which is clearly not the case - what's shown in the pics is the normal M1871 Mannschafts spike with the "old" Perlring. Also, the inside of the rear visor clearly shows Kammer marks, of which the roman numeral "II" for Zweite Garnitur is all I can decipher with my bad eyes. Mannschafts helmet, no doubt.

I think (hope) they're in the process of changing the whole description - right now they're still speaking of "complete with the Prussian (black and white) and German National Colors (red white and black) cockades" which, unless I've turned completely colour blind, is not correct: I see two Prussian cockades. Pretty simple: remove the left one, and you've got the correct pre-1897 configuration.

It's not an officers helmet, but in my opinion a good and decent Mannschafts M1871, and if I weren't short of cash I would most certainly consider buying it for the European equivalent of US $995. I think it's a nice helmet, decently priced.

Back