Mail for Klara

911car

This was just 5 months before the start of the Great War. Who knows what happened to them all? They look so young.

Attachments

• L1040752.JPG
    L1040752.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 39
  • L1040754.JPG
    L1040754.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 38
Is that at the Cavalry riding school ? with the mixture of units ?
Steve
Steve,

there was no cavalry riding school in Neiße, the only educational establishment being the Kriegsschule which prepared aspirant officers (Fahnenjunker) for the officers' examination and commissioning. I am thinking these young fellows who are not Fahnenjunker, may be part of the permanent staff of the war school functioning as officers' orderlies, grooms and the like?

Regards
Glenn

Had to go in The Bunker to get some information for an email question, so for fun I took a photo of the same three helmets worn by the three soldiers on the left in that marvellous image posted by Bruno.

Ulanen Tschapka
Dragoner Pickelhaube
Husaren Pelzmütze

All issued of course. I have the Haarbusche for the Tschapka and the Pelzmütze, but I can't stand parade bushes so they are all in storage.

To support Glenn's typically spot on assessment, If I am correct, soldiers who were Fahnenjunker wore at least Unteroffizier uniforms. Half of these soldiers are Troopers (Privates). Or I am wrong. Pick one.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 17
Tony,

a slight correction to my post above. The students at the war schools already held the rank of Fähnrich. And of course, you are correct; none of these guys are NCOs, so clearly not Fähnriche.

Regards
Glenn

At least a couple of them have a badge on their right sleeve that I don't recognize. Maybe this offers some clue. The two guys on the viewers left in the front row both have it.

Great picture, Tony. This busby seems to be exceptionally well preserved.
I noticed, as cpt Bob did, that the first seated soldier on the left - a Dragoner - is a medic. I do not know if only certified physicians wore the caduceus, or if medical helpers, nursing orderlies also did in the Imperial German army... I am sure someone has the answer. The guy looks young; a med student perhaps.

Great picture, Tony. This busby seems to be exceptionally well preserved.

Thank you Bruno. It's a FNM example.

Here is the link: https://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh34.htm

dbh34.jpg

Last edited:
//I noticed, as cpt Bob did, that the first seated soldier on the left - a Dragoner - is a medic. I do not know if only certified physicians wore the caduceus, or if medical helpers, nursing orderlies also did in the Imperial German army.//

All qualified medics received the right to wear the Rod of Asclepius on the right sleeve, in every colour of the rainbow to match the Dunkelblau uniforms. Physicians wore them on the shoulder boards.

Actually Bruno that very nicely dates your photo. Only in 1913 were Medics awarded this patch.

Yes Steve, crossed flags were awarded to soldiers in the Signals Troop who were qualified to use signal flags.

Took a quick shot of some of my examples.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
All qualified medics received the right to wear the Rod of Asclepius on the right sleeve, in every colour of the rainbow to match the Dunkelblau uniforms. Physicians wore them on the shoulder boards.

Actually Bruno that very nicely dates your photo. Only in 1913 were Medics awarded this patch.

Yes Steve, crossed flags were awarded to soldiers in the Signals Troop who were qualified to use signal flags.

Took a quick shot of some of my examples.
Thanks Tony. I learned something!

Interesting. I really know nothing that would help but was wondering if they were just soldiers on staff, why would they all have swords/sabres?

Is there a chance this is a new arrival of aspirants that haven't yet upgraded their uniforms to their new status?

Just a thought and curious about the swords.

The M89 Degen was as much part of the uniform as the helmet. It was generally always carried, especially if soldiers were getting together for a group photo.

Thanks Tony - Bob. Just my Canadian background showing through where generally only Officers carry swords. At least while I was serving.

Cheers.

Peter

Thanks Tony - Bob. Just my Canadian background showing through where generally only Officers carry swords. At least while I was serving.

Cheers.

Peter
My experience as well, although as a WO I did teach sword drill to new officers. But if we were both born in 1898, and I had gone to WWI in any of the three Regiments that I served in, Lord Strathcona's Horse, Royal Canadian Dragoons, and 8th Canadian Hussars, I would have absolutely carried a P08 sword. And you would have carried a P08 sword as well, as you would have been Canadian Field Artillery on horseback, not jumping out of Hercules with a C1 105mm howitzer strapped to your back.

Back