Mecklemburg Strelitz EM Spiked helmet

Very nice!

A soft cloth can remove some of that green slime on the plate. If that fails, a toothpick used gently creates a bit more muscle without scratching.
Of course, maybe others have a better technique.

:D Ron

Stephane here are photos of the markings in my FR90 helmet

fr90c.jpg

fr90b.jpg

fr90d.jpg

Reservist1

Hi R,
a very nice helmet, mint and well marked :D as we prefer them !
I was right to ask more precisions concerning the marks :) I remark from your helmet that the mark on your FR 90 for the Becklemdungs Amt IX is absolutely the same as on the GR 89 II B
B.-A.IX,
I've never noticed this specific chart, normally we find something like B.A IX or BA IX, never B.-A.IX .... quite interesting, given the fact that the FR 90 is produced in 1913 and the GR 89 IIB in 1914, the same period indeed. The BA used the same stamp with this special chart.
Thanks for sharing this precious information
Steve :D

Hi Stéphane,

just have a look to my new topic of today (31 October-latest find).
It seems to be that the quarter master of the II IR 89 also had some problems to find a spike for my haube... Round spike, as it should be for the II IR 89, but not unscrewable...

Regards,

Philippe :salute:

ir898.jpg
[/url]
[/img]

I strongly suspect that the bandolier-ribbon he is wearing over his right shoulder is not "regulation," but rather, displays the colours of his student corporation (Korps, Burschenschaft, Verein, etc.).

I was just going to ask about that sash. It makes sense that he is proud of his student association. I love the pince nez that he is wearing. I can not see going into battle with those lunettes on though!! Stephane...I have seen wooden or bamboo pegs used to secure original wappen before.

Thanks Brian, I have no doubt about the authenticity of the wooden pegs and I'm quite happy that you confirm having seen the same on your side :)

b.loree said:
I was just going to ask about that sash. It makes sense that he is proud of his student association. I love the pince nez that he is wearing. I can not see going into battle with those lunettes on though!! Stephane...I have seen wooden or bamboo pegs used to secure original wappen before.

The student association must've been a big deal in their society.
It was certainly played up in the film Der Untertan:

http://www.amazon.de/Untertan-Werner-Peters/dp/B00006FMFL

Back