MG08/15

Man you guys are lucky (to live in a country where you can own such beauties without having to alter them much) =P~ =P~ =P~

So Eric, I take it you still haven't found the guy who brought back your MG?

One has to agree this Private Seiders did deserve his medal as he "entered alone a ruined building, and discovered 13 of the enemy. He shot one who resisted capture and made prisoners of the remaining twelve, bringing in with him three light machine guns. Later in the same day, he captured ten of the enemy and five machine guns." Impressive!

This MG came out of the Evergreen Museum which I am told was an "overflow" for Air America - aka the CIA!

Apparently the CIA got rid of arms into the Evergreen Museum. I need to learn more about that as well. More mysteries!

So far, as far as the 79th Div and the 314th Inf., it appears they got pretty well hammered by the time they got to Mont Faucon. Much more to learn here, I'm hoping some board members can add more.

The fellas I'm buying this from are old MG collectors and have invited me to their range when the transfer comes through. I'll have to see if I have an appropriate helmet to wear on that outing!

And I have to chase down a water can, hose and belt. I have a pal with 100,000 rounds of Port 8mm - maybe I can talk him out of 1000 rounds......

If I read things right the 29th Division (Baden) would have been opposite the 79th Div at Malancourt

Really great item! =D> =D> =D>

Before two years, I had the chance to see an original one in France ( Meuse Departement) digged out by Workers on the side of a street. Rusty and without stock, but it is allways crazy to see such Item.
Yours is absolutly beautifull!

Update: The MG08/15 I acquired is in the book "The Devil's Paintbrush" by Dolf Goldsmith (p.167). He sold it to the Evergreen Museum in 1989. He fired it when it was in his possession.

I have a steam hose fitting but haven't tried it yet but will tomorrow. Wish I had a nice hose with brass crimp to the fitting like Lost Skeleton does.

Water can and belt are in the mail to me. Not sure about the belt. Tabs are long enough for 8mm Mauser but it has 5 bullet spaces between tabs rather than 3. Have a John Baum English operating manual on the way as well. Have amassed some non-corrosive Port 8mm ammo.

Expect transfer to complete by oh, September? Not sure I have a M1915 or M1916 large enough for my fat head when I shoot it......

Lost Skeleton said:
It may not be the ultimate Waffen collectible, but I'm darn happy with this complete and fully functional 1917 Gwf. Erfurt MG08/15, which I recently acquired:

MG5.jpg

MG1.jpg

MG4.jpg

MG3.jpg

MG2.jpg

Anybody have an assault sling they're willing to part with?

Chas

Question: there are 2 steam ports but the steam port fitting has only one opening. Can someone explain this to me?

Here is the steam hose fitting which was copied using 3D printing and then cast on demand. Nice fit. 2015 meets 1916 technology!

Looks like we still need to fabricate a gasket between the fittings. Opening on MG side is greater than hose fitting. I'm guessing the original gasket had a "nipple" that fit into the hole to keep the gasket captured and in place

that fitting is very similar to the "glad hands" used to connect air lines on trucks, you might even be able to find a gasket off the shelf that will work, or you could make one out of RTV.

that would be a great centerpiece in a imperial collection
i gess every one would want one like this :oops:
i know i do :-"
i wouldend even bother if it works or not just having one would be a great one
concrats with this one

Great thread. I would like to add to this and also start a MG08 thread too? I appreciate that those in the USA are able to own live firing examples whereas we in Europe must have them deactivated. We must take comfort in the fact that we do not have to have dummy side plates. If the moderators are happy I would also like to show the maxim accessories too in these threads.
Mark

MG1918 said:
DSC08810_zps2d9b8d30.jpg

One of my wooden dummy training guns. These were used or drills in place of scarce working items! Has letter of authenticity/capture in 1918 by Belgian forces.

WOW! I have never seen a dummy training MG08/15 - excellent!

Back