Mid-sixties TV Pickel.

Anybody know "The Avengers" - that camp sixties Brit spy romp with 'Steed' and Emma Peel? Well, they got the whole run from Honor Blackman to Linda Thorson in Hyeres library. We watched one last night where Steed becomes a Butler in order to infiltrate a club of ex-army types. During the proceedings someone inevitably tries to kill him. "The Avengers" is pretty good at coming up with original ways to knock people off, but this took the biscuit as the lurking assasin came at 'Steed' with a superb example of a what looks like a Prussian Mounted Grenadier Rgt. No.3 Officers helmet![ Although it did have a fluted spike? - I guess the producers were'nt too worried about athenticity]. What a way to go, eh? The thing was sitting on the Colonel's desk and the lunge missed Steed and the spike stuck in the wood panelled wall. You could see inside it at that point and I'm sure it was a genuine example - correct Officer liner and all. "Bloody Hell" I said and re-played the scene five more times - needless to say, my Wife was'nt too pleased! Anyone seen this episode? I wonder what happened to the helmet - they were pretty rough with it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anyone got one with a severely blunted spike? :lol:

I might give the BBC props department a call.

Hey Spikey,
Havent seen that episode-But I,ve been seeing plenty of spiked helmets and other German WW1/WW11 items on the reruns of the Benny Hill show-HAHA.King Weasel

When I lived in Belgium back the 60's I was fan of " Chapeau Melon et Bottes de Cuir"(The Avengers) John Steed and Emma Peels. Yes I remember the episode, but remember if the Pickel was original or not, it's a little bit hard for me, I'm not an Elephant I've not that memory!
Otto

I have all the Avengers episodes on DVD, I will have to check it out, I do not remember that one!

James

You remember it Otto! Wow - I watched 'em as a kid but I dont remember this.How do you do it?

James, it's 1966 Vol.3, third episode on the DVD - "What the Butler Saw".

What do you think it is [ It aint Rgt3 after all ].

Benny Hill has his moments you know,KW. :lol:

Well I fast forwarded to the helmet part, looks original, but hard to tell what it is, for sure a fluted spike!

James

Thats a Grenadier plate is'nt it James?
I'm with you on Ali G., Joe. My Wife likes it too.

Yeah Otto, you're correct, French for the 'Avengers' is "Melon Hat and Leather Boots". Trust the French eh? :wink:

OK TV Hauben fans...how about the pickelhaube that was shown on Hogans Heroes??. It sat on Col Klinks desk and I believe was shown on the opening credits. If I remember correctly, it had some Garde Officer characteristics with silver fittings. If any of you have copies fill me in as to what the helmet was. I loved the Avengers series but found "The Prisoner' quite bizzare. You can't beat the Brits for murder mysteries as far as I am concerned..loved Black Adder as well. Brian

Hi Brian,
Hogans Heroes was one of my favorites TV show, and of course I remember the Pickelhaube upon the Cel Klink's desk.
Otto

PS. Did you remember of a TV show from the 60's, with teen agers on a beach. There were a motorcycle gang ( I think Rats was his name ), the leader, in motorcycle with side-car, use to whear a Pickelhaube?

Otto - I remember that series -what was it. Yes he wore a 'haube all right.

That looks like an early-ish grenadier in the hogan sign off, aint it? Bolt fit rossetes etc. This is all getting silly again.

And Gus, sometimes they missed off the bit when the Cat puts fred out on the step - I used to wait for that bit.

Anyone remember "Johnny Quest" - legendary! And did anyone read the old Dell and Gold Key original "Turok son of Stone"? All that plus Frank Frazetta's 'Creepy' and 'Eerie' covers are the reasons I'm a painter. Not that I'm in his league. :cry:

Since we are speaking about old films in television, do you remember pot bellied Batman driving a 39 Chevrolet, and of Flash Gordon in what the fire of the turbines of the spaceships doesn't come out back, but do they fall down?
Otto

Back