Mid-sixties TV Pickel.

Otto, James, - what was the Avengers episode where some wally dressed up as an eagle [seriously!] and went 'round carving people up with a set of bloody great talons that he wore as gloves - he hid behind some blokes curtains after climbing the wall using the talons? Scared me ****less this one! I havent seen it since I was 8 or 9 but it's left an impression. Do you have it on DVD?

Scary! I did'nt sleep for weeks after that and layed there watching the curtains.

spikeymikey said:
Frank Frazetta's 'Creepy' and 'Eerie' covers are the reasons I'm a painter.
Hi Mike:

Here's my favorite Frazetta cover:

mad-king.jpg

That Avengers episode you were asking about is Number 110, The Winged Avenger. I have a copy, but it is NTSC and not compatible with PAL.

Chas.

Hey Chas, thanks - I was wondering if I imagined it as I cant find it in our library. What year and volume is it, and what colour is the case.

It does'nt surprise me that you like that one best, I wonder why? Do you know much of his work? I still like some of it and he is a great bloke. I have an original sketch that is much treasured.

Yes Joe, they were comics - really crappy ones apart from the few Frazetta covers - and one strip in the first 'Creepy'. I think I know that poster. He did the only four covers of "Blazing Combat" also.

I have a few Frazetta books and loved his paintings of Conan. Did you all know that Conan was from Canada? Not many people do.

Was Robert E. Howard Canadian? I can see a lot of Frazetta in that new 'King Kong' film but I dont think it tops the original.
I found Frazetta's 'phone number out and called him from England around three years ago, just for the hell of it. His wife,Ellie, answered and said " Well, He's working right now but if you call back in an hour he'll be in for some coffee, I'll ask him if you can talk with him". I called back and talked Art with the amazing Frank Frazetta for an hour! It was like being able to talk with Whistler or Velazquez. He was so polite and unassuming- a great guy! :D

Many thanks for finding the Hogan pic Bill. Looks like a fire officers helme cobbled together with Garde Eagle missing the star. God...if only I had started collecting hauben during the Hogan era!! Another movie mit hauben....All Quiet on the Western Front. I have both versions. The helmets in the early 30's flick look real to me. I wonder what happened to them?? Brian

Back