Mint, unworn Pickelhauben with Talcum Powder

Could it be a chemical residue left in the leather from the tanning process that, after a 100 years, has finally migrated out to the surface?
Just a thought.

John :?

Arran said:
I don't believe its a true mold, which you would think would spread to the visors, no?

If it is mold … (but I’m just guessing)
I would sooner believe the opposite, there are two things mold likes, moist and darkness.
A lacquered surface does not hold moist. , untreated leader does.

Spiker said:
//It's funny that those helmets are now the most wanted , after all ,the leader pickelhaube was always meant to shine.//
Not wanted by everyone. I consider Pickelhauben with this lacquer deterioration to be ruined. I will never have one in my collection.

I had some WWII A2 Jackets stored away for years ...
One developed the "White powder" effect ... And it wasn't new when i put it away ..

I would just like to add here that with lacquer/shellac, we are dealing with a natural product produced by an insect, the female Lac bug largely found in a special type of tree growing in India. Consequently, I tend to think that we are talking about some sort of chemical reaction, a clouding of the natural lacquer produced by storage conditions. If it was mold it would smell moldy/musty. I also would not want one of these in my collection as original hauben even M15's were patent leather shiny not the dull opaque finish we see in this example. I would also venture the opinion that most of this issue has been "clouded" by dealers trying to sell hauben in great shape but with this ruined finish. My opinion....

Hmmm......"Fatty Spue" a new phrase to add to my vocabulary! I wonder though, how I will be able to work that into "cocktail conversation" over a nice glass of Merlot or Cab Sauv?? :D Mike, your avatar reminds me to announce here that I am in need of an officer Garde Stern to complete a neusilber officer wappen I have in my collection.

b.loree said:
Hmmm......"Fatty Spue" a new phrase to add to my vocabulary! I wonder though, how I will be able to work that into "cocktail conversation" over a nice glass of Merlot or Cab Sauv?? :D Mike, your avatar reminds me to announce here that I am in need of an officer Garde Stern to complete a neusilber officer wappen I have in my collection.
It‘s one of these knowledge what is nice to know but you can‘t shine with :D

Great thread!
I learned a lot from this. I wonder if there is a way to reverse the process and return the helmet to it's original finish.

John :)

Can anyone provide an answer to my question regarding cleaning? Much appreciated. In the collector world I came from, cleaning was verboten or highly frowned upon. But I get the impression that in Pickelhaube collecting, this is acceptable. Tony has an excellent article on it on his website.

Mike

I would not do more than Tony explained at his Website. Personally, I prefer some patina.
I In terms of the Helmets which look like coated with white powder, I would not try to clean it or rub the layer off. It would be too dangerous to disfigure the Helmet completely.

Thanks for the advice, Sandy. I would tend to agree with you. Same with daggers, etc -- the patina is something you come to love.

Mike

Back