My little Pickelhaubes collection…

Sandmann

Dear fellow Forum-Members,
it took a while but now the last boards has been custom crafted and my Helmets are on place. With 3 lovely Helmets I’m happy to start calling them “collection“ :)
The good thing for such a small collection is that I can display it in my livingroom, but the bad thing is that I want more 🥳
But I collect also royal items from Imperial Germany and since I collect only Officer-Helmets my collection is growing very slowly. I try to add one Helmet a year, the last one is my fancy Hair-Helmet to the left from early 2021 (Officer-Helmet - Füsilier-Reg. 80/86, Royal Infantry-Reg. 145 or Infantry-Reg. 25).
Nevertheless, I‘m very happy with my Pickelhaubes and hope I‘m able to add another one at the end of this year. Hope you‘ll like it (y):)

Attachments

• 431063AE-26F8-42E4-9B27-EBD1A41B877F.jpeg
    431063AE-26F8-42E4-9B27-EBD1A41B877F.jpeg
    785.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 2CFB231A-1F88-4228-BF15-2D2C029D604B.jpeg
    2CFB231A-1F88-4228-BF15-2D2C029D604B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114
Awesome display Sandy!!!

That is an absolutely top notch collection and display!

Hopefully you will need a bigger wall so you can acquire and display more helmets!!! 🤪

John

The most important thing is that you have them in your living room and you can look at them every day, but I think that with time you will start to run out of space on that wall, which I wish you, because only a few have the joy of even a mini collection.I know a lot of people who would like to have at least one pickelhaube.Regards

Wojtek

Thank you all for your kind words. At the moment my plan is to display only 4 Helmets in the living room. For later Helmets I have my office where I have a glass cabinet. But I started the collection in the living room, because I wanted an object that would represent my interest in German history (especially the 19th century). Then I happened to see a TV show with a Pickelhaube and thought it was ideal for it. So my Pickelhauben fever had broken, because of course it should be a real spiked helmet. When I recognized the enormous variety of helmets and uniforms, my interest continued to grow. I can't really explain it either, because I have no military background and even wasn’t a collector before :unsure: But 1 Pickelhaube was not enough and meanwhile I have no longer set myself any limits. Let's see where it‘ll take me😄

Last edited:
Very tasteful display. I’m also a believer in the less is more concept. Of course for many years I did not follow it, but I do now and I am just as happy with my collection.

Steve

Sandy
You have a really cool way to display your pickelhauben. Are the display cases made of UV protected plexiglas? Do you keep the room at a cert temperature and humidity to help preserve them? Thank you for sharing you idea on displaying them.
John

Thank you John :)
I try to keep the environment for my antiques in the best way and as constant as possible.The display cases are made out of Acryl. They have UV filter properties, are acid-free and plasticizer-free. The temperature is regulated by the central heating about 22°C. And concerning the air humidity I have a house with a central ventilation system for which I have insta an additional air humidification system. So that the humidity is continuously measured and is all over the house around 50%.This isn’t only very good for my antiques, it also improves the general quality of living, because these ventilation systems make the air is always very dry.

Sandy
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge on preserving Pickelhaube and antiques.
Best regards
John

Back