My Pickelhaube Collection from the '90

JohnS3rd

Hello All,
As I have mentioned in the past, my focus on collecting militaria has evolved and changed over the years. I have always been struck by the German Iron Crosses and steel helmets, especially when I began collecting as far back as the 1960s. My fascination was due in part to my cousin's and friend's collection that they had. These collections of helmets, medals, guns, and daggers their fathers bring backs from World War Two service. My father was too young for the war and in College during the Korean War. As with most collectors, my collection grew and shrank in my high school and college days, all but disappeared when I joined the Army in 1976. My interest was focused on learning my trade, and ... you get the drill. I missed some great collection opportunities when stationed in Italy in the late '70s. However, after getting married and serving in West Berlin during the 1980s, my collection interests were renewed. Most of which was focused on medals, helmets, and daggers from both world wars. To get on with it, here are some pictures from the '90s of Iron Cross's and the four pickelhauben. These pictures came from scans of my 35mm pictures, so they are not the best for detail.
Thanks for looking,
John

My Old Pickelhaube and Iron Cross Collection 1995 forum.jpeg
Ersatz Pickelhaube Forum.jpeg
EM prussian Pickelhaube Circa 1915 forum.jpeg
Prussian Garde Infantry EM Pickelhaube Circa 1915 forum.jpeg

Hi James,
Yes, it was an adventure. However, after we had children and I was deployed more often, it began to wear on the family. But, when I was stationed in Stuttgart in the late '90s, a boss said to me: If you want it bad, you'll get it bad. At the time, I laughed, but those words indeed became prophetic later on. Thanks for the positive comments.
Best regards,
John

Thanks for the compliments. I sometimes wish I had kept some of it. However, after 9/11, I did not want to put an additional burden on my wife if I took a hit during multiple deployments. :wink: The old joke among collection down this way is: I had a nightmare last night that I had died, and my wife sold my collection for what I told her I paid for it! :eek:
That's all folks \:D/
John

JohnS3rd said:
Thanks for the compliments. I sometimes wish I had kept some of it. However, after 9/11, I did not want to put an additional burden on my wife if I took a hit during multiple deployments. :wink: The old joke among collection down this way is: I had a nightmare last night that I had died, and my wife sold my collection for what I told her I paid for it! :eek:
That's all folks \:D/
John

I always tell my husband how much I paid for my helmets so that he doesn't undersell them when I died LOL

I have an info tag that is tied to each helmet but I wrote the price in Kanji character LOL sometimes I wonder if I had done the right thing LOL

Hay that is a good idea, except when she notices new items in the room and she sees the $ in brail, Arabic, or more code....
I better stick to the spread sheet. LOL

Back