My SOS Purchases

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I have never bought a complete helmet for my collection at the SOS. Being Canadian, I am always hindered by the fact that the $CN is always at least 20-30% less than Uncle Sam's buck. However, what I am always looking for are parts and helmets that need a little restoration so that they can be restored and sold. Consequently, this Show was a good one for me.
First, a real scrapper that has a complete liner and some valuable parts:
IMG_2396.jpeg
A Prussian M95 style helmet that has seen better days. However, we have a complete liner in good shape, a side post and more importantly, a complete piece of brass trim. The screw off spike is obviously missing but the base and pins can be of use. You can also see the obvious effects of helmet shrinkage on the brass visor trim. However, this can be fixed. :)
IMG_2397.jpeg
This helmet is unusual, as the original M91 posts are the type generally found on tin kit helmets.
IMG_2398 2.jpeg
The rear of the shell was stitched together in the old style which again, we do not usually see on a helmet in the M95 configuration. To be continued...

I have never bought a complete helmet for my collection at the SOS. Being Canadian, I am always hindered by the fact that the $CN is always at least 20-30% less than Uncle Sam's buck. However, what I am always looking for are parts and helmets that need a little restoration so that they can be restored and sold. Consequently, this Show was a good one for me.
First, a real scrapper that has a complete liner and some valuable parts:
View attachment 42799
A Prussian M95 style helmet that has seen better days. However, we have a complete liner in good shape, a side post and more importantly, a complete piece of brass trim. The screw off spike is obviously missing but the base and pins can be of use. You can also see the obvious effects of helmet shrinkage on the brass visor trim. However, this can be fixed. :)
View attachment 42800
This helmet is unusual, as the original M91 posts are the type generally found on tin kit helmets.
View attachment 42801
The rear of the shell was stitched together in the old style which again, we do not usually see on a helmet in the M95 configuration. To be continued...
This helmet is salvageable as a set.Soak it in water with vinegar and remove the polish.Later straighten it and apply new shellac.Brian don't give up on it.I believe you can fix it.
Wojtek

In a month of work a minimum of 8 hours and it should look like new🤔. Of course as all the parts are in place. These 91 knopfe have a different diameter they are larger than standard. Probably 0.5mm. To do it in keeping with the era, you would have to colour match the paint and of course the skin primer would have to be made from rabbit glue and other ingredients. But the picklehaube has a lot of potential. Congratulations on a good purchase.

Back