My treasure

I did--Turner,Laughlin, ltd. does the best helmet restoration that I know of--and Cameron has been my mentor in Indian Wars helmet restoration for the last few years. It took some major convincing to get me interested in metal helms, and I was very fortunate in my military contacts to secure this one. I will, however, need to rely on the expertise of others in selecting a garde du corps helm.

Wolf,

I didn't know that about tombak helmets. I've only seen single piece capes on them, so that's interesting information.

:D Ron

Both my 1889 and my 1899 pattern Officer's helmets (kuirassier and GdC) are of the one piece manufacture. Could the construction of the lobstertails be related to manufacturer?

skelts1974 said:
Both my 1889 and my 1899 pattern Officer's helmets (kuirassier and GdC) are of the one piece manufacture. Could the construction of the lobstertails be related to manufacturer?

I don't know. I've a GdK officer (converted from a 6th K officer??) and an enlisted 6th K, both have single piece capes and are of later manufacture. I've seen about ten others in museums, always with single piece capes, when I could see them... so interesting information for me. I wish I could go back to Schloss Vornholz now... :)
Anybody live in / near Dresden? There's an earlier GdK officer in the Bundeswehr Museum.

See this thread for an example of a Guard Reiter helmet with multi piece cape.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reservist1

reservist1 said:
See this thread for an example of a Guard Reiter helmet with multi piece cape.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reservist1

A beauty indeed! Thanks! Would the same go for officer models?

A very good question. I have not seen enough "good" officer versions to be sure. My guess is that officer helmets have one piece capes if for no other reason than to keep the helmets as light weight as possible.

reservist1 said:
A very good question. I have not seen enough "good" officer versions to be sure. My guess is that officer helmets have one piece capes if for no other reason than to keep the helmets as light weight as possible.

I'm in that same boat. Maybe somebody could gage the metal thickness on both. Mine are behind glass and not easily accessible... anybody?

I just went through my "archive" (Schloss Vornholz Kavallerie Museum):

From the pics I have: Offz and EM do have segmented "lobster tail" Nackenschirm.

Private purchase - Offz helmets; the ultra-light-luxury-expensive helmets have the one piece Nackenschirm.

Francis

Thank you, Khukri--I am late to return to the conversation, and still overseas, but very appreciative of it.

v/r
Wolf-Ekkehard

Thanks for the pics- could we see more of the helmet body from the side, back etc?

Cheers,
Arran.

And to be honest, guys, in looking at this thing--I'm really not sure if it is one piece or multi-segmented and put together tightly in the back. The one pieces still have the shaped pieces that look like its riveted together, right?

Back