Named Officer Helmet From Iowa

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Another officer helmet has arrived, both visors to be restitched. This helmet is from a rare Infantry Regt and also named in a unique way which I have never seen before.
IMG_0105-L.jpg

We do find owners names in helmets but they are always penciled in or written in ink, this one is ink stamped using the official Regt ink stamp.
Kratzsch Leutnant u. Kompt. Landst.-Inf.-Reg. No. 33 7. Kompagnie. So, we have the helmet of Lt. Kratzsch who was the Kompanie Commander of the 7th Kompagnie of the 33 Landsturm Infanterie Regt. It does not get much clearer than that and one of our members should be able to provide information.
IMG_0099-L.jpg

The visor and trim here is more diagonal, a Saxe characteristic distinct from the rounded Prussian officer helmets.
IMG_0115-L.jpg

The thread on both visors was so rotten that it did not need to have to be cut with an exacto blade. Here we see the rear spine and how it is fastened to the shell and visor. No prongs were broken in the process and the spine came off easily. The spine must be removed as you can not clean out old thread or restitch with it still in place. :thumbsdown:
IMG_0120-L.jpg

Both visors and small parts are always placed in a plastic container, if lost, these parts are very hard to replace. The first visor trim button to be taken off, in this case the "left" (when wearing helmet) was marked with an "L" so that each is returned to their original location on the helmet. They often have a slightly different shape due to how they were put on originally. Next step....clean out all the old thread in the stitch holes.

Looks great Brian, many thanks for doing this project and posting the photos! =D>

My very novice research revealed that the 33rd Landsturm Infantry Reg't was attached to the 95th Infantry Reg't, which would be a ?Brother (don't know if that is the correct term to use) Regiment to the 94th Reg't. I was just now trying to locate the page on the internet, and can't seem to find it again.

Best Regards,

Alan

Brian,

Landsturm-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 33 was formed in late July 1916 under the auspices of the IV. Army Corps Home Command. It served exclusively on the Eastern front, initially in 3. Reserve-Division until 13 March 17, the 46. Landwehr-Division until 30 April 1918 and finally 14. Landwehr-Division. Kratztsch is not a particularly common name and my best guess is that he was the Leutnant der Reserve Kratzsch commissioned into Landwehr-Infanterie-Bataillon II Aschersleben on 16 November 1915.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks for the fantastic info Glenn, I appreciate it! :thumb up: :bravo:

Thanks James & Steve for your comments about my helmet, I appreciate it! :thumb up:

The front plate is a 94th Reg't Reservist. It has the Saxe-Weimar officer kokarde.

I'll post pics of what it looked like from Randy & Remy. I believe that Remy took these photos, but am not certain.

Best Regards,

Alan

saxe weimar helmet 1.jpg

saxe weimar helmet 2.jpg

saxe weimar helmet 3.jpg

saxe weimar helmet 5.jpg

saxe weimar helmet 9.jpg

Alan ;
Super ! very good find and purchase .I wonder if that could have been
a Walt Hartmann helmet ? Randy has purchased some of Walt's helmets .
Steve McFarland

In the hands of brian it will be a beauty when he is finished with it
He is a great teatcher on restoring helmets even on a distance from america to belgium
Your the man brian 👍👍👍😉😉

John, there is no gaping hole in the helmet...that's just the loose rear visor popped away from the shell. The camera angle is deceiving.

First, my apologies to Alan for screwing up his State location in the title, my knowledge of US Post nomenclature let me down. :( . It was a beautiful day in the neighbourhood today.....
IMG_0139-L.jpg

Stichin Haube Gulf side! :D The shades are for effect, I can't stitch with sunglasses or any other type of glasses on.
IMG_0131-L.jpg

This is my work area, typical for an officer helmet, this one is marked size 57 1/2 cm. You have to be very careful sticking your hands in and out of this space as you can damage the liner stitching.
IMG_0134-L.jpg

You always line up the spine lines and work out from the middle on a rear visor.
IMG_0141-L.jpg

Complete!

We began this post showing the unique way that this helmet was "named". Here is another rare example of "naming", clearly printed in ink by Lt. Junemann 2. Komp J.R. 160. Examples of easy to read officer names are rare, most times they are scrawled in pencil or ink on the inside of the shell, sometimes on a glued label.
IMG_0143-L.jpg

I have Junemann's haube with me as I need to restitch the front visor.
IMG_0142-L.jpg

A comparison shot of the Prussian style officer visor (Junemann's top) with the Saxe visor of Lt. Kratzsch. The difference is obvious! Visor trim must always be removed because there is always stitching underneath at the corners. Last...if the stitch holes are cleared properly daylight shines through.
IMG_0146-L.jpg

Front visor pinned and ready for stitching tomorrow.
IMG_0145-L.jpg

You know things are right when pieces lineup like they were originally. I have never seen extra holes like this in an officer helmet, there are 2 extras on the opposite side....I have no explanation. Was the helme reworked or is this a simple manufacturing error??

b.loree said:
John, there is no gaping hole in the helmet...that's just the loose rear visor popped away from the shell. The camera angle is deceiving.

Sorry. I was talking about the spot by the Kokarde mounting hole. I see now that it is just something stuck to the helmet.
Looking good so far. You are a Master!

John :)

Hi Brian! I think the name is Tünemann, with a T. Those German letters always were a bit of a bother, especially in the past, but also to a certain extend in the present. Doing things differently, that's what Germans like :D

I've said it before, I'm saying it now, and I will undoubtedly say it again: I enjoy your restoration posts and pictures very much! Please keep up the good work :thumb up: !

Jaap Verduijn said:
Hi Brian! I think the name is Tünemann, with a T. Those German letters always were a bit of a bother, especially in the past, but also to a certain extend in the present. Doing things differently, that's what Germans like :D

I've said it before, I'm saying it now, and I will undoubtedly say it again: I enjoy your restoration posts and pictures very much! Please keep up the good work :thumb up: !

I agree to your 2nd statement but I disagree to your 1st. I‘m with Brian and think also that it‘s a „J“ :eek:
A „T“ would not have the bow at the base and the horizontal line at the half height of the letter. For me it looks like an old fashioned „J“ like here:
https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/151855818671692751/

Thanks John, Jaap and Sandy, I just hope some member in Europe can track J/Tunemann down. Good to hear everyone is still enjoying these restoration posts. Few collectors get to see/handle so many of these helmets as I do let alone, take them apart, I am very lucky! John, those marks around the chin scale holes are bits of cardboard torn off the officer kokarden. Officer kokarden have a black cardboard backing and this often sticks to the shell. Many times, I have to pry them off with a knife. Sometimes I even have to replace the backing with new cardboard.

Helmet was finished today:
IMG_0147-L.jpg

Fittings have much of their original mercury gilding left.
IMG_0148-L.jpg

IMG_0149-L.jpg

I will be returning the helmet to Alan at the SOS in Louisville.

Back