Named Officer Helmet From Iowa

Hi Brian,

That looks fantastic, many thanks for doing such superb work! =D> \:D/ :bravo:

Yes, unfortunately the cardboard backing from both of the Officer Kokarden stuck a bit to the sides of the helmet when I took it apart prior to mailing it to Brian.

Not sure why there are two extra stitch holes on both sides of the visor. As Brian said, he's never seen this before, and I have never seen this before as well. I didn't notice it until after I took the chinscales and other fittings off the helmet. It looks to me like that "Saxon somewhat square cut style" visor had been on there "forever" with matching oxidation patina to it when compared to the back visor, and the rest of the exterior helmet shell.

I also didn't realize that the front visor needed a re-stitching until I took the chinscales off as well just before I mailed it to Brian. That was a bad surprise. (both for myself, and for Brian as well). Many thanks again for getting this added work done Brian! :bravo:

Best Regards,

Alan

Were there threads in the extra holes? If so it maybe that the maker just started and ended the stitching sooner and later. This could be do to the shape of the visor, the stitching jig maybe set up for the other shape visor and they used it for Saxon's as well. Just a thought.

Brian,

it is Jünemann. Leutnant der Reserve Jünemann, commissioned as such on 25 January 1915. He survived the war.

Best regards
Glenn

juenemann.jpg

Thanks very much Glenn! No extra threads in those holes. Don't forget the trim has to go on over the edge of the visor, any thread in those holes would prevent this. Stitching has to stop before the edge to allow the trim to slip over it. Junemann Leutnant de Reserve but his helmet wappen is regular line infantry officer. There will be a separate post on his helmet.

Back