New Busby for my Collection

stahlhelms

I am new to the site, so I hope I am following the rules. I will be posting all 6 headgear items that came with the collection in the correct categories i hope.
I mainly collect wwii helmets so my knowledge of these is very limited. I recently acquired an amazing collection of WWI German headgear. Any info you can add to what I have would be appreciated. Please point out the flaws if any.
Model number?
Unit number?
Does the red denote something?
How does the Plume get attached?
Does the skull look correct?
Does the sabretache go with it? If not, any info on that would be awesome. 16675707401967898111741537858228.jpg16675707807378117927137619953270.jpg16675708050829082238354025951989.jpg16675708307036932632851502731369.jpg16675710788746268725265054551168.jpg16675714500467684988607956867617.jpg16675714769795174256328050280305.jpg

I can't say much about this one
To me it looks like it is put together with some parts
which are not correct
Steve

These were given to me, so I have nothing invested.
Other than the skull, does the rest look ok?
The person collected in the 50s-70s, and some stuff is great, others make no sense like a wwii tshako with a wwi front plate.

Maybe some of these came from a prop house
for stage plays ?
I have seen real items that have come from costume houses
Steve

One thing that struck me was the "GERMANY" export marking on one of the flaps of the lining.

Most of the sum of the parts look original to me, and of private purchase quality. But the liner and cockades on this looks very much like an enlisted man's.

Yank off the later-applied repro skull, and you have what appears to be a nice, period, privately purchased enlisted Busby from the 11th Hussars.

So my questions on this interesting piece goes out to the bulk of our more experienced and seasoned collectors here on this site:

With the advent of the import mark "GERMANY" coming out for marking items just post-WWI for export to English speaking countries like the United Stares, could this be a period export piece made from the huge number of parts left over after WWI with the rise of the Weimar Republic?

I ask this in all seriousness, not only due to the obvious age, quality, and provenance of the sum of the parts, but to the situation in Germany in the early 1920s.

It would make very good sense to me that a private firm, stuck with a huge amount of dead stock which is no longer needed or wanted by the current military trends, styles or necessity of the anti-Imperial Weimar government, would obviously cut its losses and dump all of their dead stock for solid profits by offering these parts assembled into helmets to the international market.

From a purely capitalist viewpoint, I can very obviously see busbies of this type being sold in this way via international sales catalogs, especially with the population doing everything they could to bring in cash to a post-war, cash-starved economy and citizenry.

I'm very curious if our members who primarily collect busbys have seen any original but maked for export types like this before?

Bryan.

I'm very curious if our members who primarily collect busbys have seen any original but maked for export types like this before?

No , I have not seen this in 52 years of collecting
Steve

And Stahlhelms,

I like this Busby for what it appears to be. I would buy this in a second if the price was right. And when I got it home, I would yank that skull off, first thing.

Thank you for posting all of these helmets on the site. It is a lot of fun seeing these 60s vintage collectibles coming to light!

Bryan.

Thank you Steve. You are one of the most knowledgeable and prestigious members on this site. Your opinion holds weight.

Did you see the "Germany" export mark on the flap?

The shell is obviously bad. How about the other parts? The liner looks okay to me, just never worn and stored nicely.

Bryan.

Thank you Steve. You are one of the most knowledgeable and prestigious members on this site. Your opinion holds weight.

Did you see the "Germany" export mark on the flap?

The shell is obviously bad. How about the other parts? The liner looks okay to me, just never worn and stored nicely.

Bryan.
I did see the stamp on the liner
I was not able to read it
I thought about asking the owner to do a photo of it
but I didn't
I don't like the bush or cord
also the Feldzeichen is a reproduction
I do see a small part of the bamboo frame
which is a big plus
Steve

thank you all for the input. I noticed the 'Germany' stamp and assumed it was a 1920s export like the WWII German pith helmets in the 60s.
I can't understand why you would fake something and then stamp it GERMANY.
I am still working on the whole story, but the father and son collected long ago and the son passed away last year and the family is cleaning out the estate.

I did see the stamp on the liner
I was not able to read it
I thought about asking the owner to do a photo of it
but I didn't
I don't like the bush or cord
also the Feldzeichen is a reproduction
I do see a small part of the bamboo frame
which is a big plus
Steve
Steve, please ask if you need better pictures. It came with extra parts, so the cord may be the wrong one.
There is bamboo inside, ill picture if I can.

Sorry to be the herald of bad news but thought you would prefer the unvarnished truth.

While the sealskin covering and what looks to be the wicker body may have a shot at being original the rest of the busby needs to be put out of its misery.

Look at the liner. There are obvious joining marks and odd cuts.

Even the Sabertasche is fake. The lace looks convincing but look at horrendous stitching. It looks like someone was drunk while driving the sewing machine...

John

Hey Stahlhelms,

Like I said, I PERSONALLY like it, and I have been collecting for most of my life, but I will be the first person to admit that my knowledge is limited somewhat on this subject. I have been "that guy" who has been burned a few times.

I also think this was exported with a "GERMANY" import stamp in a way just like all of those East German helmets that flooded into the US to glut the market back in the mid 1990s. Surplus is surplus, and countries get rid of the old stuff quite often. Then and now.

Collecting has always taken a back seat to my career and my family. Collecting has been an occasional "also ran", especially during the long war years and everything that that entailed for me personally and professionally. In that vein, I will always concede to those more knowledgeable about a subject than I am.

If these parts on your helmet are bad, then I would take the advice of these long-time members like Steve and the others. If you plan on selling this, I would take their tips to heart in determining a price point.

If you sell it on our e-stand, let me know. I would be happy to make you an offer!

Bryan.

Sorry to be the herald of bad news but thought you would prefer the unvarnished truth.

While the sealskin covering and what looks to be the wicker body may have a shot at being original the rest of the busby needs to be put out of its misery.

Look at the liner. There are obvious joining marks and odd cuts.

Even the Sabertasche is fake. The lace looks convincing but look at horrendous stitching. It looks like someone was drunk while driving the sewing machine...

John
John
Even the Sabertasche is fake
I don't agree that it all a fake
the 3 hangers are not correct, but I think the rest it is
Steve

Steve,

Okey Dokey.

At the moment I am entirely too inebriated to take a picture of my sabertasche but feel free to take a look at this:

This is one of those moments I fondly recall where one of my extremely drunk friends at very dark club would say

" See that hot chick over there...She's giving me the look!"

I would just say... If she makes ya happy Steve... you do you!

ugly-sexy-ugly-woman.gif

Steve,

Okey Dokey.

At the moment I am entirely too inebriated to take a picture of my sabertasche but feel free to take a look at this:

This is one of those moments I fondly recall where one of my extremely drunk friends at very dark club would say

" See that hot chick over there...She's giving me the look!"

I would just say... If she makes ya happy Steve... you do you!

View attachment 26625
Not sure that I understand this post
Steve

Welcome to the forum Stahlhelme and thank you for posting photos of your helmets. This forum thrives on discussion and exchanging information and this piece has certainly promoted that. 🙂 I only own one legitimate busby so, I am no expert. I also got sucked into buying one similar to yours decades ago and I still have it. Mine has some original parts but it has been faked. Regarding your question about the plume, you need to straighten out the wire on the end of it and slide it into the slot behind the silver/ black feldzeichen. This wire is also suspect as it should be a much heavier gage and stiff. The repro skull on this has obviously just been stuck on, it should not stick up above the bandeau ribbon and below the rim of the helmet.

Back