New Display of Pickelhaubes for 2022

Fantastic displays of your collection. Y’all have provided me with some great ideas to display my spike and steel helmets; now to get buy in from the wife.
Thanks
John

dear John,

I will elaborate a bit on my display to provide you (and others) with inspiration for possibilities in " pickelhaube display" , mine is not perfect, but I like it very much for more than 10 years now.

ten years ago I made a design for my pickelhaube and mutze display, I demonstrated earlier, (a large cubboard with top shelves for my collection, consisting of 7 elements each able to contain about 9 headgear items). (some contain less to provide space for higher items with " trichter", parade plume or eagle (GdC).

at that time I really spend some time to think about the best solution to store them away from dust and mites, in an acceptable way for my spouse and kids, in the living room with good illumination and a minimalistic design to avoid hinges and lines from glass doors and frames.

each element is covered with a vertical glass plate that slides into place without hinges.

A carpenter made it, and I/m happy with it till today, although I regret it is not bigger (as the collection grows, the cubboard doen not), and it definitely has its restrictions, all others items (swords bayonets cuirasses uniforms don't fit in...), so they are largely stored in boxes...

(I made a similar but more simple display in our holiday house to be able to expand my headgear collection as a solution for that, and swords are allowed on display on the wall over there by my housemades...)

I hope it can serve as an inspiration to you and others,

have a nice weekend

Attachments

• IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4408.jpg
    IMG_4408.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 56
Michiel,
Thank You very much for the detail on your headgear display cases. I have saved a copy for future reference.
Best regards,
John

Here’s my Pickelhaube display. It’s small and all commonly seen helmets. My goal is to get a nice Hessen officer helmet, a Prussian guard helmet, a Wurttemberg helmet, and hopefully a few cavalry helmets. I need a better display cabinet too5D08E1C5-0DF7-429B-9B35-51BBCCCFC3E2.jpeg

Hi Charles,

Really like your cabinet; the Pickelhauben display very well on those black heads.

Regards,

Lars

Hallo, alle miteinander
Gerne zeige ich Ihnen meine Helm Vitrinen. Alle Vitrinen haben Schiebetüren und sind abschließbar.
Schade, dass du nicht in Deutschland bist. Ich habe ein paar Vitrinen zu verkaufen, ich habe keinen Platz mehr dafür.

Attachments

• DSCN3180.JPG
    DSCN3180.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3181.JPG
    DSCN3181.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 77
  • DSCN3182.JPG
    DSCN3182.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 77
And ccj, I like the two french general kepi’s,
i try to collectie headgear from all countries, but imperial german is the biggest part because of the enormous variety

And ccj, I like the two french general kepi’s,
i try to collectie headgear from all countries, but imperial german is the biggest part because of the enormous variety
So do I Michiel, I only have 1 french adrian helmet, but I like all of the helmets of the era. You know, what really strikes me, is the difference in collecting helmets here. I for one, am more in the enlisted, or so called OR helmets, for me preferably M15's, and others, more into officer helmets.
This is what I really like about this forum. I do have officer helmets, and some M95's though.
The diversity of collecting, and our mutual differences in tastes of what we collect, makes this forum great.

O K I will add in
Here are 2 of my 4 helmet dispaly cases
built about 40 years ago
SteveView attachment 21410View attachment 21411
absolutely beautiful,

I remember that after visiting karel van boschaete (adler), I was stunned by the quality and size of his collection, (and made me feel small considering my result of 30 years collecting), but very soon I realized that comparing is of no use, (and was very happy again with my collection), but seeing and studying rare and beautiful items of others is very valuable, and can help to detect fakes, your collection seems as impressive...

Back