New grenade and artillery shell

Gustaf

Staff member
I attended the UGCA show in Odgen ovr the week end, and picked up a decent 1917 dated Stielhandgranate M1917, the condition has few issues, it lacks the Sprengkapsel and cord (I have added a ball) and the battom end it fixed with incorrect nails, but the instructions on the head are mostly readable. The best part was that I got it for $150. Also shown is a German 77 artillery shell with a message projectile, that was acquired at the same show.
PHhood022.jpg

PHhood023.jpg

Best
Gus

Very cool Gus, as a buddy of mine would say regarding the price; "That's a Scoop-Deville"

Larry :thumb up:

Nice catch indeed Gus!!
The stick grenade I recently posted--I got no feedback thus far on this one :eek: --is selling for $450 and the instructions are long gone.

Hey Ron,
I camminted on the grenade you posted, I missed that thread as I was a way, I think it is an above average example at a reasonable price, they are getting harder to find in a condition that is not a dug example.
Best
gus

Tony without Kaiser said:
Gustaf said:
Also shown is a German 77 artillery shell with a message projectile, that was acquired at the same show.

That is the coolest thing you have ever posted. Wow. :salute:

Rag pickers usually do not have anything with brass. It is cool, and it fits with an infantry collection, as these projectiles would be landing amoung the infantry, but I may have to find a Kugelhelm now.
Best
Gus
PS What happened to your Canadian pages on the Bunker?

Gus; Love that 7.7 artillery shell and with the projectile, just a fantastic find.Just started my own collection of artillery shell casings [with Tonys help]. What are the markings on the base?? Dick

Hey Dick,
I tried to get a decent phot (because I am to lazy to write s discription:)) but could not.
At 12:00 about 2/3rds from the primer to the top is st.
at 1:00 midway between primer and edge is 1
at 3:00 midway is 1918
at 6:00 midway is HU over 27 ?? the U is only half there
at 9:00 midway JANR
at 11:00 midway is FN in a circle
Best
Gus

Hey James,
From experiance, the grenade would have been $500 to $600 at SOS, and I doubt that I would have found the shell, or even recognized it for what it was, but I still missed the party.
We had a good time at the show, the John Browning Museum added two prizes to the displays at the show, and we took the specific categorie, as well as first and costume.
The Browning people were great, they could only find one error in my display, and they could not mark me down for it. I had displayed a Browning M1910 as being the pistol that started WWI, they told me that they could not challange it, as they did not know for sure, as the Austiran museuam would not allow them to measure the bore on the pistol used by Princip. It is reported as being a .380, but also a M1910, but the M1910 was in .32, the .380 was the M1908. This was the first time I had heard there was a different model number for the .380 and .32.
PHhood020.jpg

Best
gus

After doing a bit of looking, I believe that I do not have a 77 Artillert round, I do have a 77 Artillery case, with a 77 Minenwerfer round in place of the projectile, it is a message round with a licht Werf-Mine-Zünder 2 fuse. Now I need to find a projectile for the case, and a Minenwerfer, dang this hobby is expensive
Best
Gus

The internet is a great tool for collectors, I bought this projectile from an older colletor, who hand managed to deduce that it was a message round, but he had not been able to ID it positively. I am not smarter, but I have better tools, it is a licht Nachrichte Minen 7.62cm
LWMZdr2.jpg

Hey Chip,
I was pretty sure that it did not belong, as such a projectile could not have pre set rifling.
Now what puzzles me, is how nice it would be to have such a projectile dropped into one's position, to explode, and then send up a cloud of smoke to alert the enemy, so you can go out into the open to retrieve the message that probably says something like, "His Majesty expresses his desire that you persevere in your endeavour to hold this position against all odds"
Now people worry about the damage a cell phone's radiation can do, but I suspect this could do more, and I am sure glad that these did nto catch on as a way to communicate.
Best
Gsu

Hey Gus,
The reason these didn't catch on is because they were replaced by Fortune Cookies :D

Back