New grenade and artillery shell

Hey Gus,
This might be of interest to you?
http://cgi.ebay.com/WWI-2-German-KUGEL-grenade-cap-screw-RARE-/180640743431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0f070007

Hey Ron,
Thanks for the tip, I have that one covered, but I can see that I need an updated photo of my grenades.
Best
Gus
WWISoldiers001-1.jpg

Ahhhhh yes.... Gustaf once again, you display your fascination with "the grenade" You know what trouble this led to with the Canuck border authorities. Imagine those poor Canucks faced with a mustachioed cowboy from Idaho packin a grenade in his pickup??? If they had been armed like their US "brothers of the border" you could have been shot. Unfortunately as a result of this mad cap youthful escapade we had to restrict you from entering The Great White North. The above photo which displays some incredible hardware is a testimony to that being the correct decision made so many years ago. Thus also dear members, an explanation as to why our Gustaf always appears "masked" in his postings here on the forum. Nice collection!!

Hey Brian,
I think I will need to dig out my document from the forementioned incident, here is an updated photo of my grenades and projectiles.
Mar2011001.jpg

Best
gus

Here is a some what redacted scan of the document given to me by Canadian costums after I was relieved of my grenade.
Mar2011002.jpg

I have to say, the Canadian Customs Officers I dealt with were the most professional group of law inforement I have ever encountered as a perp. The only complaint I have is that they released me into my wife's custody, and it might have been more humane to imprisone me for a few years to allow her to cool down. I do not know why she was mad at me, it was the key ring to her jeep. Some where, I have several clippings of when the same boarder crossing was closed for two hours a year later, during rush hour, because a woman was stopped and had a grenade in her jockeybox, unfortunatly for her, there was no irate spouse to turn her over to.
Best
Gus

By the way, the customs boys were all armed with Glocks, and were wearing flack jackets. They did all have their hands on their pistols when they informed me they had found my arms stash, but they did not need to draw on me when they saw the look on Maggie's face. They probably thought it was a waste of effort to shoot a dead man.

Impressive collection; funny story... Much better than when I used to smuggle Timberland clothes (and a nice Seiko watch once!) whenever we'd go shopping in the Vermont factory outlets across the border...

When I was 17, I smuggled a revolver into England. I did not realize what I had done until many years later. I had purchased a holster for my Austrian Steyr in Austria, and had it strapped to the back of hy backpack. I had mad friends with a Forrester in Upper Austrai, and he had given me a pin fire revolver, and the logical place to carry the revolver was in the holster. When I went through British customs, the customs officer asked if I had the pistol for the holster. I told him that I did, but it was at home in the States, he challanged me and I assured him that I did have the pistol, but it was at home. I told him the truth, and he let me pass with out inspection. I did not realize that I had the revolver in the holster with respect to the question, because he asked about the pistol.
Best
gus

Hey Gus, you just reminded me of the first rifle I bought...
It was in Montreal back in 1988; I was barely 16 attending my first Gun Show. All I had in my pocket was a $50 bill (Canadian dollars that is; about US$40 back then). It was towards the end of the show and I was drooling over the only stand that seemed to have rifles within “budget”. The seller pointed to the rifle I was eying—I didn’t know what it was, but it looked nice!—and said “$50”. When I showed him the money, he asked to see my Firearms License—back then all you needed for non-restricted firearms was to have a license; no registration was necessary beyond that. I told him it was my first time and that I didn’t know I needed a license… He took a quick look around, pulled out a couple of black plastic garbage bags from under the table, wrapped the rifle, took my $50 (US$40), and simply gave me that rifle!! I remember I had to walk home carrying it ‘cause I didn’t dare take the bus...
Needless to say I passed my license since as the Canadian firearms law became MUCH tougher. This rifle—a matching long-range 1939 Soviet Mosin-Nagant in excellent working order—has been properly registered since alongside its grandma the WW1 Tsarist Mosin-Nagant and the other WW1 & WW2 rifles I bought since. Here’s a snapshot:

Mosin-Nagant Rifles (made in Belgium for Russia) - M1891 dated 1900 with Tsar Nicholas II Crest (top) & M1930 dated 1939 with Soviet Union Crest & bayonet (bottom; the hero of my little intrusion here):
RussianMosin-Nagant19001939a.jpg

I rest my case,.....only Gus would smuggle a pistol into the UK and who uses a grenade on their key ring????? :eek: Keep masked Gus, they may come lookin for ya yet!!

Great stories! Used to be you could smuggle polar bear, I mean "goat" fur, and seal , I mean "angora" fur, and blue heron, I mean "dyed raven" feathers into the US from Canada for certain fly-fishing patterns. Not sure I would risk it these days as they may turn out to be on the bomb components list.

Hey Brian,
I did not smuggle a pistol into the UK, it was a revolver, oddly enough, when I was on my way over to the UK, I had about 20 dollars in my pocket, when I went through the medal detector, it went off like I had a rifle, a guard asked what I had, and I reached into my pocket to show him. Two BIG guards had me firmly pinned to the wall and the searched me, when they got done, the guard that asked the question said, "in the future, it would be better to tell us, not show us" On the way home from the UK, I stopped in at the London office of Pan Am to find out what to do to take the revolver on the plane, I was told that it would be no problem if I would just have the revolver in my hand and declare it to the stewardess and I boarded. I did as I was told, and the stewardess put it in a manela envelope and wrote my name on it. I then had to pass through the medal detector, and when that went off, they ran over me with a hand held unit, and got a big buz off a shoulder bag (it was not a purse, it was an Austrian WWI bread bag) they asked what I had inside, and remembering my instructions in New York two months earlier, I replied "I don't know, maybe it is a camera" and they let me board. When I disembarked in Chicago, the pilot handed me the envelope as I left the plane.
They say God looks after idiots and childern, and at 17, I may have been doubly blessed:)
Best
Gus

Back