Nice tschapka with potential on Ebay France...

Pontiac9999

This one showed up recently. I think it's a nice little tschapka with lots of potential...

And for the record, it is not mine. I believe this tschapka has excellent potential for a restoration, as tschapkas seem to be more rare lately...

And the dude should have put "tschapka" in the title...he would probably get more views...but at least he put "pickelhaube", which is a good idea...

Last edited:
I believe this tschapka has excellent potential for a restoration, as tschapkas seem to be more rare lately...
I always enjoy and appreciate your posts, but here, I really have a hard time sharing your opinion! What potential can you see in this wreck? It is extremely difficult to re-shape the thick shell of the enlisted Tschapka. Any heavy intervention would probably damage the finish even more, as it looks already quite brittle on the mortarboard. The worst is of course the liner, which is beyond repair. I know the seller; if there was any marking left he would have stressed it. Enlisted Prussian Tschapkas are not rare and are commonly found in excellent shape, owing to their strong construction. For me, this one is not an option but it is only my opinion, and I respect any divergent one.

Thanks for the link Pontiac, I am now watching it. It will be interesting to see how much it sells for. I must agree with Bruno, trying to fix that leaning top would be very difficult as it is glued right into the top of the shell. The tschapka liner is also totally unique. Tschapkas are rare here in North America at least in my experience. You see the odd officer one at the SOS but OR’s both M15 and M 95 are not common.

I have only owned one tschapka in all my years of collecting....it had brass fittings and wappen (Prussian). I had to restitch the visor back on and I did put in a repro infantry liner. I had it for quite a few years before I sold it finally to Peter S. at one of the SOS Shows. The other rare beast at least for me has been the M95 Tschako with brass fittings, I have never seen one for sale here in N Am. I do not own one.

The condition of the tschapka is worse than in the pictures in the auction,but it has potential.I straightened the body and am waiting for it to dry.Further work soon in a separate post.

Attachments

• DSC05730.JPG
    DSC05730.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC05731.JPG
    DSC05731.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC05732.JPG
    DSC05732.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC05737.JPG
    DSC05737.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC05735.JPG
    DSC05735.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
A good purchase in my opinion, Naprawiacz.

Well worth restoration, and you will end up with a great helmet for the cost of a little sweat equity!

I think you will make it look great!

I look forward to your restoration posts.

Bryan.

Some of us just like to work on these helmets and try to turn back the “ravages of time”. It’s a challenge to figure out ways to fix their problems. Frankly, I have more fun restoring these helmets than just buying a perfect specimen to put on a shelf. However, that is my personality, others collect only the highest quality and that is totally ok as well. This does not mean that every helmet in my collection has been worked on, many have not. It takes all kinds to make a world. Life would be awfully boring if everyone had the same attitudes.

I wish I could do that too :) I tried to fix a loosened visor, but I was not able to fix it. Stiching leather is not easy. To stick the needle through the leather needs some strength in the fingers and with the 2nd stich I had a knot in my thread :sleep:
Afterwards I asked Wojtek for help and he was kind enough to stich it for me. He did a wonderful job, even with original yarn from stock. I wish I could show the helmet, but unfortunately I‘m in a rehab right now. But I will take photos and show them when I‘m home again.

Some of us just like to work on these helmets and try to turn back the “ravages of time”. It’s a challenge to figure out ways to fix their problems. Frankly, I have more fun restoring these helmets than just buying a perfect specimen to put on a shelf. However, that is my personality, others collect only the highest quality and that is totally ok as well. This does not mean that every helmet in my collection has been worked on, many have not. It takes all kinds to make a world. Life would be awfully boring if everyone had the same attitudes.
You have written it beautifully,I have the same feelings.Now I am enjoying the repairs more than the purchases.Warm greetings.
Wojtek

I wish I could do that too :) I tried to fix a loosened visor, but I was not able to fix it. Stiching leather is not easy. To stick the needle through the leather needs some strength in the fingers and with the 2nd stich I had a knot in my thread :sleep:
Afterwards I asked Wojtek for help and he was kind enough to stich it for me. He did a wonderful job, even with original yarn from stock. I wish I could show the helmet, but unfortunately I‘m in a rehab right now. But I will take photos and show them when I‘m home again.
I believe Sandy,that you will make it and get out of your problem.You have support here and stick to it.

I always enjoy and appreciate your posts, but here, I really have a hard time sharing your opinion! What potential can you see in this wreck? It is extremely difficult to re-shape the thick shell of the enlisted Tschapka. Any heavy intervention would probably damage the finish even more, as it looks already quite brittle on the mortarboard. The worst is of course the liner, which is beyond repair. I know the seller; if there was any marking left he would have stressed it. Enlisted Prussian Tschapkas are not rare and are commonly found in excellent shape, owing to their strong construction. For me, this one is not an option but it is only my opinion, and I respect any divergent one.
I assume you have been following this restoration, cause it looks pretty good to me!

Back