Not a pickelhaube but what an ebay find!

minihelmets said:
Why do I have the feeling that whatever I may post, there will be somebody who will never be happy.

so if I ever post any pictues On the correct forum I'll keep on the safe side and say nothing about them unless asked.
Welcome to my world. ](*,)

C.

minihelmets said:
Ok OK OK I was wrong I'm sorry sorry sorry, whaooo never again! from now on I will take things very seriously and try not to upset antbody.

Why do I have the feeling that whatever I may post, there will be somebody who will never be happy.

so if I ever post any pictues On the correct forum I'll keep on the safe side and say nothing about them unless asked.

Whoo, back the truck up, First of all, from what I understand, you just acquired this off ebay, that makes it a "Latest find"
Second, some members like a quiz (I do if I know the answer:) and those who do not like a quiz do not have to bother with the post.
Third, if you try to stay on the safe side, you miss most of the fun.
Let's stir things up, but let's all try to do it to have fun and learn.
Do not worry about making everyone happy, make yourself happy, and let the others follow or fall behind.
Best wishes
Gus

Hello: I think the French helmets were extremely interesting. I meander through all the forums as they are an axcellent source of education. Anyway, if you have ten people in a room and they all agree, nine of them aren't needed - so I like to read heated discussions. Back to reading.
Bill

Well gentlemen it is great to see that once again democracy and passionate opinions have appeared on the forum. I use the word gentlemen because this discussion although heated in spots, did not dissolve into little boys in the sand box mud slinging that destroys some forums. So congratulations to all on an intersting provocative discussion about a fantastic piece of history. I do not by the way intend to be condescending in anyway here. As those forum members who have met me will tell you, I tend to be a bit laid back and do not sweat the small stuff. However, I do realise that there are other personality types amongst my collector friends who do care and I value them tremendously. So no one should stop posting, everyone has a right to an opinion and the right to defend that opinion providing we maintain a respect for each other. I also like the thrust and parry of heated discussions amongst intelligent people. By the way I believe that the first quiz type posting was introduced by my very meticulously minded and excellent friend one T Schnurr. I am surprised that he did not join in this discussion. I believe his intent was to challenge people and get them thinking. All the best, Brian

b.loree said:
, did not dissolve into little boys in the sand box mud slinging that destroys some forums.
That is because no one claimed the North Pole for their own country, or cast doubts on the nationality of Santa Claus, all that aside, it is still nice to have you posting.
Best wishes
Gus

To Gus et al, I will try and do better on postings. My life has changed since all of this was started but my love of these pointy hats and militaria in general is still there. Gus, as usual your remarks concern us lucky few who live north of the 49th (Canada). I think there is a bit of envy there but you did have that small grenade problem when crossing the border that one time. If you want, perhaps I could sponsor you but you would have to get rid of all them "shootin irons" of yours before you could enjoy the free health care up here. But as usual, I digress..... regarding this post, it was great to see newer guys... eg. Mini involved as well as Chas, Joe, Gus Peter, Rob, Stuart etc. I note "Mini" that you have 27 posts since joining in July, that is great! So many guys join and then do not participate, please everyone, do not back off simply because you may get questioned or challenged. Ninety percent of the time you will get the help or answer you need. The other 10% thank God, we get some passion and discussion...how boring would life be if we were all the same?? Stuart summed it up when he said that at least some interesting information was brought to light. So that is where I am coming from, I learned something from this post. That is what counts for me so...carry on with the postings. Brian

What a great find! This kind of helmet must be almost non-existent now.

Minihelmets, did you actually win this on ebay? The link doesn't work any more. Can I ask what it sold for?

Mike

Well Mike, You're right it is probably the only existing example of a soldiers hat with the painted linen turban.

Yes I will tell you what I paid for it. I paid the enormous amount of 20 pounds which included shipping! Had I not spotted it and had it not been bought the seller assured me it would have been binned! After all who would be looking for an "Antique japanese motorist hat" which is what it was described as!
IN actual fact the seller placed a buy it now of 20 pounds inc shipping when I asked him what he would accept for it. (the "buy it now" keeps within ebay rules)
Yes it is quite a remarkable find. now it only remains to be placed into the right museum or collection.

Back