Officer-Cockades of the „Leib“ cuirassier regiment No. 1

Sandmann

Dear friends,
does anybody know when the special 5 cm cockade in old Hessian style was introduced for the officers of the mentioned regiment? Today I looked for detailed information about it in a regimental history, in Lacarde, P. Pietsch and the book „The German cavalry“ published by Militaria.at, but I found only the information that officers wore such a cockade, but not since when.
I found the diameter of 5 cm in the clothing regulations from 1896. In the draft edition of 1895 it was only mentioned a cockade in old Hessian style, but no other diameter than 65 mm for metal helmets. I didn't find anything about it in the army regulations from 1890 to 1897 either.
So any further information is welcome. Thank you very much for your help 🙏

You're right Tony, thank you for that source. I really have not looked back that far :)(y) So it is clear that the officers of the regiment wore the old Hessian cockade from the start of the Pickelhaube.
But what about the diameter? Does anyone have any idea when it was reduced to 50 mm? Was it 63 mm in diameter, when it was generally introduced for cuirassier helmets, or was the 50 mm diameter established at that time?

Dear friends,
does anybody know when the special 5 cm cockade in old Hessian style was introduced for the officers of the mentioned regiment? Today I looked for detailed information about it in a regimental history, in Lacarde, P. Pietsch and the book „The German cavalry“ published by Militaria.at, but I found only the information that officers wore such a cockade, but not since when.
I found the diameter of 5 cm in the clothing regulations from 1896. In the draft edition of 1895 it was only mentioned a cockade in old Hessian style, but no other diameter than 65 mm for metal helmets. I didn't find anything about it in the army regulations from 1890 to 1897 either.
So any further information is welcome. Thank you very much for your help 🙏
Here is a view of the Prussian Kokard
Steve1 L K R 1 O a .jpg

QUOTE="Sandmann, post: 124111, member: 4267"]
You're right Tony, thank you for that source. I really have not looked back that far :)(y) So it is clear that the officers of the regiment wore the old Hessian cockade from the start of the Pickelhaube.
But what about the diameter? Does anyone have any idea when it was reduced to 50 mm? Was it 63 mm in diameter, when it was generally introduced for cuirassier helmets, or was the 50 mm diameter established at that time?
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 16991811785736094633681890212959.jpg
    16991811785736094633681890212959.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
Perhaps you are not going back far enough?

Larcade Vol II p.13 describes the special chinscales and Kokarde on LKR1 as being part of the 1843 introduction of the Metalhelme. Specifically, the Kokarde is “non dentelée” (not serrated)

View attachment 29869
As discribed: the non serrated Officers Kokarden are not complete 360° round.
These have a cut to fit and allow the hinging of the chinstrap halves; attached to the trefoil rosettes

Back