Officer Silk Liners

Adler

The leather liner with squared fingers was worn until 1880, then they changed to the more comfotable silk/cloth liners...

Adler

joerookery

The leather liner with squared fingers was worn until 1880, then the changed to the more comfotable silk/cloth liners...

I am not so sure this date is accurate. Certainly that is the date that is used in conventional wisdom however, the leather liner was available at different retailers all the way up to the war. It seems as though the leather one was less expensive. And I agree that the cloth ones were more comfortable. But I do not think it was a sharp date of change. Rather I think it happened over time and still not completely. With more than one helmet in the closet it seems as though one of those would be top floor and the other somewhat more service-oriented.

Adler

Maybe I should have written that the silk/cloth liners were available from 1880 on. I agree there's no exact date and it must have been with a certain tansition time or so...

Adler

Adler and Joe,
Thank you very much for your help. I had thought that it wasn't until 1900. This info will help me a lot.
Jim

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Great posts on this thread gentlemen, thank you all again, for your contributions! I am unaware of anywhere else in the world where such comparisons and information exists.

pickelhauben

A few months late to the party but there are some beautiful helmets posted here !!!!!!

Thank you all for sharing.

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
A Prussian General's liner:
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4957.JPG
The helmet.
IMG_0887.JPG
An example of the Satin Officer liner.
IMG_5184.JPG
Another Satin example from a Mecklenburg Helme.
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5981.JPG
The silk liner removed from the calfskin sweatband. The liner is in 2 halves with 4 creases, one in each corner so it will fit the oval of the shell. The liner is cut larger than the shell so that it can be tack stitched to the scalloped edge of the sweatband. Usually, the small "tack stitches" are found between the scallops. You can see 2 seams where the 2 halves meet, a thin rattan reed was inserted into these which caused the silk to dome up into the shell. Most times these reeds will be broken. The silk was first hand stitched to the sweatband at both ends, then the rest of the liner was tack stitched to the scalloped edge.
IMG_5973.JPG
A near pristine example of a Garde officer liner. Usually these are soiled from use especially if the officer used a hair cream to slick down his hair. The small separations are typical of this ribbed silk cloth. In the worst cases the silk disintegrates into a spaghetti like state! :(
IMG_5932.JPG
The above liner pulled down and out of the mid war Garde shell. Note the small tack stitches and surprisingly the use of an M91 officer kokarde filled in by the cardboard backing. This Garde helmet is from my collection and was brought back by a CN medical officer. It has a pe war wappen and spike but all other fittings are zinc.

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of the most pristine officer liners I have seen, manufactured by AWES one of Germany's top makers....like new! The liner belongs to a Prussian field artillery officer helmet that has been sent for some restoration. Unfortunately, the condition of the outside of the helmet does not match what we see here. Most times, we only see the remains of that AWES trade mark.
A6B2F2FC-34AE-4BD3-AE7E-5A17CBB0F878_1_201_a.jpeg
I love these ribboned sweat bands, very much "top of the line".
2B6D7777-D655-494E-ABF5-E057A1D029DB_1_201_a.jpeg
Gold embossed. The company even marked the underside of their officer spike bases! :)

Sandmann

Nice post, which I forgot unfortunately. Here are unusual liners I‘ve found:

Source weitze.net:
B850CB62-1620-4C9D-BF51-F8F3F024C8B0.png

Source: lot-tissimo.de:
31D777A6-3674-497C-9BD5-80E29BB6071B.jpeg

Source: eppli.de:
C530A6D0-2F23-4625-9546-59DA06205995.png

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the new photos Sandy, I have seen that second one twice before on helmets I have worked on. It is very different than most, quite stiff and almost feels like nylon. The first one I have never seen before on a pickelhaube It reminds me of a French kepi liner somehow.

Sandmann

Thanks for the new photos Sandy, I have seen that second one twice before on helmets I have worked on. It is very different than most, quite stiff and almost feels like nylon. The first one I have never seen before on a pickelhaube It reminds me of a French kepi liner somehow.
Yes, I have not seen this wavy silk liner in a Pickelhaube too, but it was a Bavarian reserve officer's helmet that was auctioned on February 26th, 2021
Source: https://www.lot-tissimo.com/de-de/a...chivelot-f850a8a4-64ff-44ac-8c23-acbe00d281a2

Last edited: