Officer Silk Liners

The leather liner with squared fingers was worn until 1880, then they changed to the more comfotable silk/cloth liners...

Adler

The leather liner with squared fingers was worn until 1880, then the changed to the more comfotable silk/cloth liners...

I am not so sure this date is accurate. Certainly that is the date that is used in conventional wisdom however, the leather liner was available at different retailers all the way up to the war. It seems as though the leather one was less expensive. And I agree that the cloth ones were more comfortable. But I do not think it was a sharp date of change. Rather I think it happened over time and still not completely. With more than one helmet in the closet it seems as though one of those would be top floor and the other somewhat more service-oriented.

Maybe I should have written that the silk/cloth liners were available from 1880 on. I agree there's no exact date and it must have been with a certain tansition time or so...

Adler

Adler and Joe,
Thank you very much for your help. I had thought that it wasn't until 1900. This info will help me a lot.
Jim

Great posts on this thread gentlemen, thank you all again, for your contributions! I am unaware of anywhere else in the world where such comparisons and information exists.

A few months late to the party but there are some beautiful helmets posted here !!!!!!

Thank you all for sharing.

A Prussian General's liner:
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4957.JPG
The helmet.
IMG_0887.JPG
An example of the Satin Officer liner.
IMG_5184.JPG
Another Satin example from a Mecklenburg Helme.
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5981.JPG
The silk liner removed from the calfskin sweatband. The liner is in 2 halves with 4 creases, one in each corner so it will fit the oval of the shell. The liner is cut larger than the shell so that it can be tack stitched to the scalloped edge of the sweatband. Usually, the small "tack stitches" are found between the scallops. You can see 2 seams where the 2 halves meet, a thin rattan reed was inserted into these which caused the silk to dome up into the shell. Most times these reeds will be broken. The silk was first hand stitched to the sweatband at both ends, then the rest of the liner was tack stitched to the scalloped edge.
IMG_5973.JPG
A near pristine example of a Garde officer liner. Usually these are soiled from use especially if the officer used a hair cream to slick down his hair. The small separations are typical of this ribbed silk cloth. In the worst cases the silk disintegrates into a spaghetti like state! :(
IMG_5932.JPG
The above liner pulled down and out of the mid war Garde shell. Note the small tack stitches and surprisingly the use of an M91 officer kokarde filled in by the cardboard backing. This Garde helmet is from my collection and was brought back by a CN medical officer. It has a pe war wappen and spike but all other fittings are zinc.

This is one of the most pristine officer liners I have seen, manufactured by AWES one of Germany's top makers....like new! The liner belongs to a Prussian field artillery officer helmet that has been sent for some restoration. Unfortunately, the condition of the outside of the helmet does not match what we see here. Most times, we only see the remains of that AWES trade mark.
A6B2F2FC-34AE-4BD3-AE7E-5A17CBB0F878_1_201_a.jpeg
I love these ribboned sweat bands, very much "top of the line".
2B6D7777-D655-494E-ABF5-E057A1D029DB_1_201_a.jpeg
Gold embossed. The company even marked the underside of their officer spike bases! :)

Nice post, which I forgot unfortunately. Here are unusual liners I‘ve found:

Source weitze.net:
B850CB62-1620-4C9D-BF51-F8F3F024C8B0.png

Source: lot-tissimo.de:
31D777A6-3674-497C-9BD5-80E29BB6071B.jpeg

Source: eppli.de:
C530A6D0-2F23-4625-9546-59DA06205995.png

Thanks for the new photos Sandy, I have seen that second one twice before on helmets I have worked on. It is very different than most, quite stiff and almost feels like nylon. The first one I have never seen before on a pickelhaube It reminds me of a French kepi liner somehow.

Thanks for the new photos Sandy, I have seen that second one twice before on helmets I have worked on. It is very different than most, quite stiff and almost feels like nylon. The first one I have never seen before on a pickelhaube It reminds me of a French kepi liner somehow.
Yes, I have not seen this wavy silk liner in a Pickelhaube too, but it was a Bavarian reserve officer's helmet that was auctioned on February 26th, 2021
Source: https://www.lot-tissimo.com/de-de/a...chivelot-f850a8a4-64ff-44ac-8c23-acbe00d281a2

Last edited:
Very nice and a new colour for me. What type of helmet is this from? Thanks for posting .

The color of the Liner was a free choice. There was no regulation in the clothing regulations about that, as far as I know.

Nice post, which I forgot unfortunately. Here are unusual liners I‘ve found:

Source weitze.net:
View attachment 18122

Source: lot-tissimo.de:
View attachment 18119

Source: eppli.de:
View attachment 18121

I first saw the blue stiff liner with the white dots many years ago on a dealer's website and I thought it was a fake liner. I thought this type of liner was a joke, some strange replacement that someone had placed inside the helmet. Not so, I discovered over the years.

I have seen this a couple times since in other helmets.

And a few years ago I saw my first one in person with my own eyes. It was a 33rd Division Officer WW1 bring back helmet that is in a museum. Sadly it is not being taken care of very well.

The liner is inside of a guard officer helmet that has cheap wartime zinc fittings, and much of the gilding had lifted off from the zinc fittings on the helmet.

Brian is correct in stating the liner material is like a stiff and very coarse, almost nylon type of material. I have heard someone refer to this liner as a "dish rag" or "dish wash cloth" in reference to this stiffness and coarse, almost cheap like material from which it is made.

If I remember correctly, I believe the other two helmets which I have seen photos of had wartime zinc fittings on them. So maybe this is some sort of "ersatz" cloth liner which was used in some of the wartime officer helmets???

I'll post a couple photos of this helmet which I have handled in person at the museum where I discovered it. It was on display in 1997, and when I saw it again, it was in storage and probably will not be on display again for anytime in the foreseeable future.

Best Wishes,

Alan

101_1747.JPG

101_1746.JPG

Louis and Allen,
Thank you for the photos updating this thread concerning this variation of lining for private purchase pickelhauben.
Best regards,
John

Notice also that the sweat band is not scalloped along the edge as it would normally be. I have encountered two of these liners both exactly like the one shown by Alan.

So maybe this is some sort of "ersatz" cloth liner which was used in some of the wartime officer helmets???

Best Wishes,

Alan
Alan may be right. The helmet I posted with the blue liner and the white dots I posted was a wartime helmet too. It was an officer in a Reserve-Infantry-Regiment from Württemberg:

Last edited:
Back