Once yo go black

Adler

Because of the Photobucket thing, it took me a while to post some helmets, but thanks to the direct uploading, I can post safely pictures agai... so, let's go!
Maybe 25 years ago, I saw somewhere a felt pickelhaube with black metal parts and I was really impressed by the strange, yet kinda dangerous looking metalwork of it. The first thing I wanted to buy was of course a pickelhaube like this. In those days, ersatz pickelhauben weren't rare at all...
Well, it turned out that the blackies were (and still are) extremely hard to find... I had to wait for this one untill a few months ago, but oh boy, am I happy now!
We can discribe this Pickelhaube as a felt ersatz pickelhaube M15 with black coloured metal fittings, even the M91 posts for the chinstrap and the metal parts of the strap are black. The entire circomference has as reinforcement a turned edge instead of the metal one and there is no back spine. The pickelhaube also has a really nice marking of the manufacturer J. Bambus & Co Berlin.
Hope you gentlemen also can enjoy this rare bird...

Adler

View attachment 3

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Beautiful helmet Adler, I never saw pictures of a felt helmet with black fittings..

Your pictures work fine like this. If I click on them they become larger, so it is Ok.

Greetings, Coert :bravo:

Stunning piece Adler, congrats. I never saw these black fittings. The fittings appears to be in metal brass black coloured. Are they magnetic? Or can you confirm the metal brass?
THX Giorgio

Nice find !!!

I have one as well but mine has a blueish tint to the black.
My helm has another difference than yours , it has a natural colored liner but with no manf. stamp .
Mine is all magnetic.
But it had a 2 inch rip in the front visor that I have since repaired .
So deffinatly no cherry like yours !!

The rip went from the bead up to the left buckle . You can just make it out..

Thanks for your nice comments guys!

The black parts are magnetic, so it's a real variation on the M15 with grey parts...

Adler

Never seen one like this its amazing the condition its in wow
Trully a nice one

Jonas

Fine Helmet, congratulations 😄
Is it a Picklehaube for a funeral procession? Or was it normal with the black colour?

Sandmann said:
Is it a Picklehaube for a funeral procession? Or was it normal with the black colour?

Or a reference to the Order of the Black Eagle?

Just kidding; at any rate, a mint and highly collectible rare variation.

911car said:
Sandmann said:

Or a reference to the Order of the Black Eagle?Black_Eagle_Order_star.jpg
Just kidding; at any rate, a mint and highly collectible rare variation.
Thank you, I think my question was expressed in a wrong way. But I found an answer:
The spike/base, wappen...mounts are chemically blackened brass, to cut down on glare, this was before the M15 subdued helmets...
Is this also for this helmet? Thank you for help.

A very uncommon variation of a very dark grey hue on those wartime helmets. Especially the "metallic" effect of this chemical treatment is stuning!
Never saw this specific variation till today. Always though that they have to be lusterless :eek:

Here is one of mine with a very dark treatment, but not "shiny"

thieme11.jpg

thieme19.jpg

thieme15.jpg

thieme16.jpg

Philippe
:)

Back