One of our members, is going to the other side.

coert65

I knew Jaap, as one of my friends, some of you also did.
He is losing his battle with cancer, and he wil probably won't make it to tomorrow.
Goodbye my friend, you will not be forgotten..
Jaap Verduijn is a member I knew good, visited him 2 times and we spoke regularly.
but the cancer is getting the better of him. He fought it brilliantly, alway's with a humourous view, and regardless of his illness, a brilliant and humorous friend. He is now under morfine, and probably, by tomorrow, he will have left us all. And gone over to the other side. His family, and his daughter are now by his side..
Rest in peace my friend.
You will not be forgotten.❤️

Last edited:
Thank you Coert, please keep us posted. I know and appreciate Jaap as a member of this forum. I was really inspired by his positive lifestyle and views. But I can‘t offer my condolences before a person has left us 😟

Thanks Woytek.
You are right, we should all love people we have around us. We all can go, but you know, I saw my father go, my mother too.
I had to sell my whole earlier collection, just trying to save my mother. Some members here know that, but you know, you do what is needed.
So selling of my collection doesn't bother me. You simply do, how it is right. It is what it is.
But I never sold the French M15 adrian chasseur helmet, which I exchanged for a scruffy M95 FR33 pickelhaube, with Jaap.
That helmet, and the story Jaap told me, how he found it, I will never forget that. That helmet will never leave my collection.
Because, when I see it, I see him. And his cat's, the pipe he loves to smoke. This man is truly a great friend, and knowledgable regarding history.
In the 70'ties, he even visited tunnels near Verdun, with a survivor of a Pioneer regiment. Those are memories, which I will never forget.
You know, I do not have much family left, maybe like the most of us. But let love rule. I do feel bad he will not be here tomorrow, but happy, because I knew him, visited him, and spoke to him a lot. He was absent for a while here on the board, fighting his cancer, 2 chemo therapy's did not work out. He knew, a third one would only save some time. And cause more pain. So he chose, just to let go. He is now with his family, and under morphine. He is right doing it like that, I saw my dad go like that. Sometimes, how hard it seems, it is the only way. But it is hard for others seeing it, I know. But you know, I will never sell Jaap's chasseur M15 Adrian helmet. It will remain here for ever.
Have a nice sunday my friend. (y)

Thank you Coert, please keep us posted. I know and appreciate Jaap as a member of this forum. I was really inspired by his positive lifestyle and views. But I can‘t offer my condolences before a person has left us 😟
I know Sandy, condolances are not really appropiate. Jaap is only letting go his fight with cancer, just like my dad did. But I know, he will not be here tomorrow. I am in contact with his family, and I will keep you posted. Jaap said he was ready to go, and fully done with it.
Hij was het zat. (sorry about the dutch, but I know you probably understand)

Coert ;
Thank you for the report on your friend .That is a sad event .
Please post the helmet that you write about .Maybe you have already done that earlier
but I did not see it . Post it in memory of your friend .
Best wishes
Steve

Thanks Woytek.
You are right, we should all love people we have around us. We all can go, but you know, I saw my father go, my mother too.
I had to sell my whole earlier collection, just trying to save my mother. Some members here know that, but you know, you do what is needed.
So selling of my collection doesn't bother me. You simply do, how it is right. It is what it is.
But I never sold the French M15 adrian chasseur helmet, which I exchanged for a scruffy M95 FR33 pickelhaube, with Jaap.
That helmet, and the story Jaap told me, how he found it, I will never forget that. That helmet will never leave my collection.
Because, when I see it, I see him. And his cat's, the pipe he loves to smoke. This man is truly a great friend, and knowledgable regarding history.
In the 70'ties, he even visited tunnels near Verdun, with a survivor of a Pioneer regiment. Those are memories, which I will never forget.
You know, I do not have much family left, maybe like the most of us. But let love rule. I do feel bad he will not be here tomorrow, but happy, because I knew him, visited him, and spoke to him a lot. He was absent for a while here on the board, fighting his cancer, 2 chemo therapy's did not work out. He knew, a third one would only save some time. And cause more pain. So he chose, just to let go. He is now with his family, and under morphine. He is right doing it like that, I saw my dad go like that. Sometimes, how hard it seems, it is the only way. But it is hard for others seeing it, I know. But you know, I will never sell Jaap's chasseur M15 Adrian helmet. It will remain here for ever.
Have a nice sunday my friend. (y)
You are a good man with a big heart.Thank you for letting me get to know you!

Coert:

I don't think that I have had the pleasure of exchanging posts with Jaap, which based on your description of your friend is my loss.
I also have a very special helmet on my shelf which came to me through a very good friend who grew up in Warsaw during WW II. That helmet will never leave my shelf.
Count yourself very lucky for having had the opportunity to spend the time you spent with Jaap. Not everyone is so fortunate to be able to cultivate these sorts of friendships. I'm sure you'll always remember your friend every time you look at that helmet.

Hello Coert,
thank you very much for your very personal insights. It is nice to see that Jaap has found a good friend in you and it comforts me that he is at peace with himself and is ready to let go. He will hopefully not suffer anymore and meet his loved ones in heaven.

RIP Jaap. We were fortunate to have known you and like the other members who have passed, your posts are still here and we will remember you.

I too enjoyed his wit, wisdom, and the elan with which he faced life, and its end. May we all do as well.

Steve

My friends, Jaap has fought to the end, came back, stubborn as he was, but on the 19th of May finally passed away.
1621625303473.png
Rest in peace my friend.

Back