Open season on identification

joerookery

I continued to scan and I find new things that I cannot identify so being basically lazy I thought I would share the wealth and see if anybody else knows.

This first picture has absolutely nothing on the back. It is a minor state but which one I do not know. There is no litzen. On the blowup the guy on the right seems to be missing his little state Wappen.

ps177b.jpg

ps177 by joerookery, on Flickr

The second guy is from a minor state but I cannot tell which one and there is nothing on the back. Does the medal provide anybody a clue?

ps176 by joerookery, on Flickr

ps176b.jpg

Joe, I took the liberty of enhancing this picture with PhotoStudio and it appears the shiny wappen of your driver-doppelganger is just reflecting the studio light, which gives you the peculiar, mottled appearance you see on the original.

your driver-doppelganger is just reflecting the studio light,

I filtered it extensively. Anything is possible but I tend to agree with Tony's view. At first I did not think it had been retouched at all however, I think he is onto something. It is almost like the photographer just blotted on the center. Who knows–however, the very bottom has a notch in it which I think rules out reflection. Thanks for everyone's opinion I really didn't even notice this the first time through. Maybe it would be better to keep it that way!

Hello Joe

I think that the first photo is a photo of the IR 93 "Saxe-Anhalt",
It is possible that it could be also IR 94 IR 95 or IR96 but the i don't see exactly the wappen.

For the second one, it's the same thing but i don't know the medal.

The third photo is a reservist of FR34 it is a very good photo, not a Grenadier Regiment.

For the last photo, i think it's the flash...

Best regards from France
IR76... :D

The third photo is a reservist of FR34 it is a very good photo, not a Grenadier Regiment.

Thanks!–I don't think I agree with you. Look at the sword hilt and the page that Tony posted. Looks like a Grenadier sword to me. Let me chew on the rest! Thanks again.

Nice picture, this thing has no shadow at all, so either it is paper thin or really a touch-up. As it is uniform white, it could have been added to the negative, yet this must have been done with great care you even see the crown. Very interesting!

sachse.jpg

Hi Joe....Picture was taken in Belgium in 1915 and definately a Landstrum communications outfit, the telegrapher buckles etc " Inf Fernsprech" I have limited knowledge of German.... but does not sprech have something to do with speach or speaking? Our Germanophiles experts will blow me away on this one!

The national phone company must have been bad off for manpower in 1914, after all their experianced workers were called up or were freiwilliger.

joerookery said:

Joe,

I think I identified this gentleman on another thread where you posted this same photo. I'm 98% sure he's an officer of the Danish Royal Life Guard Regiment.

Here's a photo from the Danish Royal Life Guard web site of the commander of the Guard Company, Major Johnnie Korsholm Andersen. I think his uniform is just about identical. In other photos of the guardsmen where I can see the cuffs of their coats, they have the type of litzen on their cuffs as in the old photo.

danishlifeguardsofficer.jpg
danishlifeguardssoldier.jpg

Back