Open season on identification

Joe,

best I can tell is that he is a senior officer candidate (Junker 1. Kl.) of a Bavarian Infantry Regiment in the late sixties. These guys were entitled to wear the officer pattern epaulettes and and officers' pattern sword knot but no badge of rank on the collar.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks for that Glenn. This is a real stumper and I do not have any good references for that time in the Bavarian army. There is a relatively new book out on the old Wütt. army. We need one for Bavaria. [-( [-(

This last one has generated a wonderful set of data bits in several locations. Both Flickr and AHF have discussed this. Chris Dale Has been a godsend.

An Austro-Hungarian artilleryman this is incredibly rare take a look at this thread that Chris Dale sent us:

forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=118184

And a comment lifted from that thread:

First, this is only the second time I see this Austrian tropical uniform on a period photograph. The other photo is the one that was posted by Chris in this thread on 21st June 2007. What is interesting that both pictures were taken in a studio. I have not yet seen an Austrian soldier wearing this kind of uniform on photographs taken in the field in Turkey. The most striking difference is the jacket with the six visible buttons: all field photographs from Turkey that I know show soldiers wearing the familiar Austrian jacket with the hidden buttons. It makes me wonder whether this uniform was used in the field at all, and if yes, by which units.

Second, the back side of the picture shows the date of 18th June 1916. If this date is correct, then we shall reconsider the previous assumptions about the other undated picture posted by Chris that was supposedly taken in 1918, showing a soldier in the uniform of the Orientkorps. We can not speak of Orientkorps before early 1918, so if the uniform already existed in 1916, it could not be issued uniquely for them.

György

Back