Our Fearless Leader is injured

My thanks to everyone! I turned 70 last May. No health issues at all so far, this was the first time I had ever been in hospital. There is talk of sending me back to the condo tomorrow. 😊
Just a youngster, like me! Get well soon.

Patrick

Get well soon Brian - all those damaged haubes out there need you

This. All we care about is how soon you can get back to work, and shepherd us through the complicated world of pickelhaubes and the forum. You can probably restitch visors from your hospital bed, rather than wasting time being a layabout.

Seriously, take care of yourself and heal.

Steve

I'm very sorry to hear about your injury Brian. I wish you my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Zeb

My thanks everyone for your kind comments. I have made some amazing friends here on the forum.....even James! 😀 Yes, Steve I will still be able to stitch Haube. 👍

Last edited:
Thanks Bruno, good to know that someone takes this seriously 😊 Surgery was done yesterday by Dr. Mitchell here at BayMedical. The worst is over and I should be back in the condo by Thursday, then follow up with Physiotherapy. The hospital and staff here are excellent! I was skipping the SOS this year Pete due to covid concerns. However, I will be there next year.
What do you mean? I take this seriously, especially when you offered to let me play with your balls. On a serious note, Be very careful with the rehabilitation. Physical therapists tend to order more exercise to the patient assuming that they will not do everything, and that can be very bad for recovery. I had a knee replaced about 14 years ago, the the PT instructed me to do 6-8 hours of exercise on a stationary bike each day. When I first visited the PT, I was ambulatory, by the second visit, I was using a cane, the next visit was with a walker and when I cam in on crutches I managed to get his attention. I told him that for and hour and a half, I could pedal the bike with out problems, but after that, the best I could do was go back and forth because of the swelling. He asked how many hours I did the day before and I told him I was only able to get 5 hours in. He thought for a moment and then told me to cut it back to one hour. I was able to do three hours a day by not going over an hour at a time, and with in two days I was ambulatory again. Don't let the doctors do your thinking for you, but do as much exercise as you can with out causing damage and you will be up tripping on your shoe laces in no time.

Good one Stuka...... I will be working on restoring myself for the next few months! 😊 Gus I will follow your advice, there has been no mention of a bike. I was walking everyday here and will use that to slowly get back into shape. The Docs tell me I should be completely healed in 3 months.

I had a knee replaced about 14 years ago, the the PT instructed me to do 6-8 hours of exercise on a stationary bike each day.

8 hours? Gus, something is wrong... riders in the Tour de France are on their bikes for eight hours only in the longest stages. As a serious cyclist I can't imagine riding eight hours daily - stationary bike or not.

Brian-- make sure you don't have a PT like the one Gus had!

Wishing you a good recovery, Brian and most important of all: don’t force it, be patient.
I know, three months seems long and perhaps you’ll face some dull moments, but a good recovery is essential for your future, I can tell you.

We’ve been in basketball and badminton for a very long time and ‘ve seen players and colleagues being impatient, neglecting physiotherapy because they felt themselves ‘already much better’,… well it finally got worser and they’re still facing the consequences until this day.

Prickleball,… never heard of. Checked on YT, looks fun, kind of ‘low badminton:giggle:

Hope one day, you’ll be back on court,

Take care and regards,

Marty

Thanks Marty and Dirk. Yes, it’s a game for us old timers, very big on the seniors circuit, 😀 It is fun but I went after that ball like I was 21 ignoring my real age.

Just an update here, as I know many of you are losing sleep with worry. 😀 The insurance company is shipping me back to CN this coming Friday at 6 pm. I will be in Toronto at 11:45 and home probably around 1:30 am. My thanks to all who expressed their support here on the forum 👍. I have already been in contact with my CN doctor and arranged for physiotherapy and removal of surgical staples. This little episode will not stop me. My best to you all. Brian

Back