Out of shape and looking for a way to get some exercise.

Gustaf

Staff member
I am getting slow and a bit tubby and thought that it might be a good idea to start a new exercise program. James LeBrasseur suggested I take up pickle ball as a way to get a few of the pounds off. It looks exciting, does anyone have any experience with pickle ball and are there any downsides to this form of exercise. At this point about the only exercise I get is tripping over the dog on my way to the loo.

Well Gus, I can not recommend the game but I do know where you can pick up a new P Ball paddle and a couple of balls cheap! 😊

That is OK, I am not sure I want to play with your balls anyway. I hope you are recovering quickly. Sports injuries are a bitch. (I would tell people it was racket ball though)

Buy a bike, you guys have the best in the world ......but I cheated I imported one of your best electric bikes......no legs required! But seriously bike riding at a leisurely pace is the way to go.

I have a road bike which I ride in the summer. This is also the first time I didn’t bring that south with me to ride in Florida. My plan is to buy a hybrid so I can ride trails and pavement. Nice picture T 😊

Gus, maybe 6 to 8 hours on a stationary bike is what you need.
Maggie and I got bikes, but I can not do 8 hours on them because the battery only lasts for 4.

…so, you need to buy a second battery unit;).

No joke, we met already e-bikers having an extra battery in reserve on their cycling trip:).

Rgds
Marty

I enjoy riding my new Trek Verve 2 (not electric) last summer, and walking. Walking an hour a day, 3 or 4 days a week last summer until the middle of July when I had to go to night shift work helped me to loose 40 lbs., along with eating healthier. Looking forward to spring time and warmer weather, and resuming loosing more!

Best Wishes,

Alan

That is the winning formula Alan, I lost 20 last year doing the same thing. The docs down here were amazed that I answered no to all their list of precondition health problems......no diabetes, heart disease etc etc. So a healthy lifestyle really pays off!

I have a road bike which I ride in the summer. This is also the first time I didn’t bring that south with me to ride in Florida. My plan is to buy a hybrid so I can ride trails and pavement. Nice picture T 😊
I had brought one of my road bikes to Show Of Shows last summer (boy I'd love to see the show in the summer just to be able to do that every year). I rode each morning before the show. You can cross the Ohio River over a former railroad bridge near downtown and there is a lovely path on the Indiana side of the river. That was really nice.

And as an FYI - the 12th Tour de France actually began on the morning of June 28, 1914. That year's race concluded on July 6 - less than a month before the First World War broke out. In total, 15 cyclists who competed in the 1914 Tour de France were killed in the war. Moreover, three men who had previously won the yellow jersey – Lucien Petit-Breton, François Faber and Octave Lapize – would not return home from the trenches.

This one's mine Gus and it's good for nearly 100kms but you pay for what you get in the ebike world, combine it with fresh air and amazing bike tracks......it can't be beaten. Oh and I can use peddle assist at any time and it's almost my only mode of getting around.

IMG_0696 (768x1024).jpg

I feel the need for a little damage control, one of the members here has started a rumor that I was killed in a horrific motorcycle accident recently, but the news of my demise has been grossly exaggerated. While I am a bit stiff and sore, I am not totally dead. I was touched by the concern that all the people I know had for the bike, and yes the bike is alright. I was at least smart enough not to tell anyone I was injured playing wiffle ball.

Back