Pickelhaube for Obersten in Generalstellung

Adler

Not so long ago, I was able to acquire this rare beast from a friend. It came a bit unexpected as it usually goes… but at the end I managed to get the nessecary funds together…

I want to present you this pickelhaube for Obersten in Generalstellung. Normally a Generalmajor was at the head of a brigade but an Oberst could also be assigned to this position.

These Obersten in Generalstellung had special features on their uniforms or special helmets.
In the Bavarian army, their pickelhauben had an especially designed bombastic helmet plate (much more detail than a standard plate) on top of a silver underlay of rays. I can’t go further in detail on all of this, so I’ll stick to the Bavarian pickelhaube…

This type of helmet was worn from sept 5 1886 until march 22 1897 without the Reichskokarde and from then on with Reichskokarde until sept 26 1898.

So, this helmet was worn in this configuration somewhere between sept 5 1886 and march 22 1897. You can also see the old style Bavarian officers model state kokarde.
Please enjoy the pictures of this rare pickelhaube…

Adler

OMG one of my dream helmets, this is a super find in great condition, you should be very proud.

James

Adler ;
A real beauty .
I saw old photos of a helmet like this
in the old Werner Schmidt collection
they were furnished to me by Jarl Hartze
a collector from Stockholm , Sweden.
Later in my talks with Charles
Charles told me of his visits to see Schmidt
Schmidt had quite a collection in the early years .

Steve

i have seen this helmet personally (uh at least i think so)
this is a very nice one, the person in question shown this to me as i have never seen this before and as the say one is never to old to learn so this was a great opportunity
i am not sure it is the same one but i guess it is
you got it karel
in my vision this is 'the holy grail'
i had some thoughts about it on buying it as i was the first to see it
but could not get my donkey to do some money......
but at least i now know where it is and on which door to knock if i want to see it again
good on you karel
congratulations

jonas

Thank you for your kind words guys!

Jonas, I'm sure you saw this exact helmet. Actually I had seen it first but then hesitated for a while because I just had bought some other expensive stuff... At the end The seller and I made a deal for this helmet, the Artillery and the Mecklemburger...

Good stuff never comes alone!

Adler

Wow, superbe helmet. I normally don't collect officerhelmets, but i really love the helmetplate. This is a piece of art!!!!

Pickelhaube

Here is one in use: Oberst Maximilian Freiherr Schacky auf Schönfeld, commanding the 1. Kavallerie-Brigade in München in 1895.

Regards
Glenn

schacky.jpg

That is an amazing wappen. That has to be the biggest and badest of any wappen ever made!! Congrats Karel on a superb helmet.

Thanks for your nice comments gentlemen!

Arran, it's made of vulcan fiber.

Glenn, thanks for that picture! The frosted silver almost jumps out of the picture!

Adler

Another beauty! Thanks for sharing the photos. The detail on the Wappen is phenomenal! It almost looks as if the detail was chased in after it was stamped.

:D Ron

This is only the second one I have ever seen. Superb! This adds so much to the Bavarian plate. Yes, really a beauty.

Adler said:
Thanks for your comments guys!

Arran, I think it was invented arround 1860 or so...

Adler

Right on target!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanized_fibre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D Ron

Back