Pickelhaube for Obersten in Generalstellung

Is the front plate (other than the sunburst behind it) one piece, or are the lions and bandeau separate, then soldered in place?

:D Ron

Ron, as far as I can see, it's made in one piece. This is looking at the outside, but since the plate is sitting so tight on the helmet, I don't want to take of the plate to check the back...
Anyway, this helmetplate is so rich in detail, I can stare at it for hours and still discover new details... The guys who made those plates must have been serious artists imo!

Adler

Adler said:
Ron, as far as I can see, it's made in one piece. This is looking at the outside, but since the plate is sitting so tight on the helmet, I don't want to take of the plate to check the back...
Anyway, this helmetplate is so rich in detail, I can stare at it for hours and still discover new details... The guys who made those plates must have been serious artists imo!

Adler

Yes, there is what looks to be a lot of 'undercutting' which can't be simply stamped in. This would have to have been gone over with a chasing tool (and even some repoussé). I wouldn't be surprised if the people who worked on these premium quality plates were highly skilled jewelry grade metal smiths and artists. I'd love to have had a job detailing these helmets for customers. Whoever they were, they certainly cared about the craft.

Isn't it nice when a helmet is so eye catching, that you continue to admire it for a long time? You've quite a few like that in your collection.

:D Ron

In similar vein:

you could be forgiven for thinking that this chap was a Guards Ulanen Oberst. That is, until you notice the cypher/number on his shoulder boards. None of the three Guards lancer regiments had a cypher. The gentlemen is Oberst August Neukirchen gen. von Nyvenheim, former regimental commander of UR 15, commanding the 18. Kavallerie-Brigade in Altona in 1895/96. Not as ostentatious as the Bavarians, but a general's eagle and star worn on regimental headdress for Kürassier, Husaren and Ulanen regiments. Colonels from other branches of the service wore the generals' pattern helmet (all with a white plume in parade dress). The practice was discontinued in 1896 and colonels commanding brigades then wore normal regimental headdress.

This from an un-named portrait on ebay.de.

Regards
Glenn

neukirchen.jpg

From J-L Larcade: Volume One-Chapter 6:

"High ranking Officers in a Generals commission:
-From 5 August 1886 on until 26 August 1898 a special helmet was worn by this Officers. The Infantry Officers helmet, but with the convex chinstrap scales. All fittings gold-plated.
-Wappen: more decorated than the standard pattern: the coat of arms was encercled with the big wreath "des Hubertusordens". This coat of arms was placed on a silver plated; radiant background with fourteen rays. These rays ranged a little outside the outlines of the Wappen.

Thanks Karel for taking the time to repost, that is a truly unique and spectacular helmet!

I am not much into Bavarian headgear, but I really covet this one, for which I would make an immediate exception! I know only one other example in a European collection. Lucky you, Karel.

Back