Pickelhauben Regimental Markings

Here is one I have not seen before.

Daniel Leroy sent this in. It came from a very nice. JR 109 M 95 type helmet that was the standard silver with a chin strap in place instead of chin scales. To the best of my knowledge there is no date on helmet.Daniel the owner thinks it says Ueb. G written in ink with a press Mark of UG to the right of the ink Mark. I have asked him for a better picture if possible. I think it is more likely that it says Lieb. G. but this is certainly unusual.
jr109_lieb.jpg

There's a Bavarian Division 3... D can be Depot Bavarian Depot III, could also be Backerei or better, Brüden Depot III etc, it's anyway probably a divisional or Armee unit, not a regimental marking. There's also a Feldbackerei Kolonnen 78 in the 9th Army, I suppose the answer should be found in the organizational charts of these big units, among the support units... interesting challenge ! It could be also just simply Bayerische Division III. and the 78 could refer to some support unit, part of this Division. D can also be Direction, there's for instance a ED (Eisenbahn Direction. B means also Betriebs, you could have a Eisenbahn Betriebs Depot III, in the 3rd Armee, this would explain the Guard plate on one of these helmets. It would fit with the Bavarian helmet also, since probably these units were common to an Armee and therefore sometimes with mixed contingents. I would be surprised to learn that there were more than 1 BA in the BAG. Last info, there's a Reserve Pioneer company 78 that was part of the 77.R.D and then 94 I.D, I don't know to which Armee these divisions were attached.... If they've been aattched to the 3rd Armee, then wa have a good option there...

Hey guys GREAT thread by the way! Can anyone give me any info on this marking, It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! :D
IMG_0178.jpg

B.J.A .=Bekleidungs Instandsetzung 1918
F=felddienstbrauchbar--Field wearable (or serviceable)

You might enjoy reading this very fulfilling subject --
www.pickelhauben.net/articles/DepotMarks_5_09.html

A small but interesting tidbit on markings – in 1908 foot artillery companies were redesignated as batteries.

Here is an anomaly from SOS 2015. This helmet was repaired by a BJA.... which one?

biaunk.jpg

obviously there are two sides with vastly different marks. Looking at the right side, the mark is very similar but much clearer than the one we had on the list.
Old picture
bjaxi.jpg

new picture
bjaxi_2.jpg

while we know what the G is we do not know why it has a A in conjunction with it.
I have no idea – yet – what the W is all about. It was too blurry in the first picture but is obviously there. BJAXI.

Now looking at the left side there are unit marks and a marking for BJAVIII pressed into the rear visor.

biaunkn.jpg

Then take a look at the unit mark. What exactly does it say? The F looks pretty deceiving.
3. Thüringisches Infanterie-Regiment. 3rd Bn. IR 71. It was in Army Corps XI

Well done Joe, I think you have nailed those markings. When I showed it to the Minnesota twins, they both said...send it to Joe, he will figure it out. I wish I had paid more attention to the punched markings though. The "ga" remains a mystery though.

Just read your article Joe on BA markings through the link you posted above. I believe your article contained the answer about the "ga" markings. You mentioned that G represented the German word...garnisonsdienstbrauchbar or in English "suitable for garrison use". I think ga is just a short form taken from the first 2 letters of that word.

The unbelievably rare Mark for the Verkehrstechnische Prüfungskommission Abteilung was brought to our attention by Tony and given to us by Sergio. This is a good one.

vap.jpg

Wow....where have you been hiding that one?? That is a rare set of markings! I have never seen that before. we need to get that on our list.

b.loree said:
Wow....where have you been hiding that one?? That is a rare set of markings! I have never seen that before. we need to get that on our list.

I got it on ebay, I think perhaps Randy had it? At any rate, somebody in Texas. One of my favorites.

Question for you... although it's not 'regimental' I have that war bond helmet with the inscription painted on the visor, would you like that on this thread as well?

:D Ron

Hi Ron: Joe has the master list on his site. He takes care of all new markings so send them to him. Joe is the King of Haube Markings!

Ron,

We don't need the one with the inscription. However, if you would like to give me that, as a birthday present…

joerookery said:
Ron,

We don't need the one with the inscription. However, if you would like to give me that, as a birthday present…

I'll make a deal with you. If you can talk Gus into convincing Hayes to give me his tank, I'll send it down to you. Otherwise another Picks member had first refusal on it. :wink:

:D Ron

16 th Infantry Regt 1st Battalion. You should be able to tell whether it is Prussian or Bavarian by the wappen holes. Bavarian are closer together. Converted to a fireman helme????

Back