Pittence of a collection and display

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words.... and Tony..... momma said no sand bags.. so I had to go for the wood cases instead :D

Besides.. the sand bags/trench display just wouldnt seem to fit the parade uniforms anyway .. though another collector friend since me a link to a fiberglass full sized horse that I could dress up......then put a rider on it.. It would not fit into the hobby room.... so it would have to go in the middle of the family room :D

But I think that would most likly be the 'straw that broke momma's back'.. as I'm pretty sure that the line has been drawn... no hobby stuff in the living room,, even if it is a pretty horse ......

Cheers
Mark

Oh to drem . That is of Musuem Quality .Nice Work .
Mark G.
P.S. mount the horse from the ceiling :D . Now don't be scaring the ohio fella from a life in museology .Let him graduate and find out the little $$$$ he will start at,JOE

Hey Bill,

Thanks forthe kind words.

Yes.. the DSO is original and it's a George V order. McCracken was actually awarded a Edward VII DSO.. but since there was only 47 of those awarded, I didn't think I had a chance in H@@@ of finding one (nor did I want to spend the $$$ for it). So.. for the display I used a GR V.

All the orders and medals are original except the German Crosses, PLM and Knights Cross. They are very good copies.

The Ernestine grand cross star is a 1920's peice.

Cheers
Mark

All those Awards and you ONLY notice the DSO ,Mark isit the Gold version ? Buetiful set of a Brittish medals . Sorry about the comments bill but there is an Order of the Bath there ( Droool).
Zippy

Hey Zippy

Yes... the DSO is a gold one :oops: ..... but the Bath is silver gilt if it makes you feel better :D

Cheers
Mark

Hey Mark,
Yours is a very nice display. Tony and several others have told us to be careful of the foam heads, I use several of them, and did not really pay much attention to the warnings, but I have learned my lesson. Be very careful of leaving the foam heads in contact with any leather (it seems that leather is effected quicker than other materials). It does not seem to bother all leathers, but to see some showing signs of reaction in a short time leads me to believe that all leathers will deteriorate if given enough time. I have been using laytex and acrilic paint and human hair to isolate the leather from the foam, and in some cases, I cover the head with polyvinyl film (probably also not totally inert, but it helps)
Best wihses
Gus

Hey Gus,

This is the first that I've heard of any problems with foam heads. I've displayed caps on stryo heads for 15+ years and never noticed any problems or changes with the leather.

What issues have you or the others had with foam heads ?

Cheers
Mark

Hey Mark,
The bigest problem I have had is with leather gas masks, they all seem to react in a matter of weeks if not days, but I also had a Kurassier Helm that I left on a foam head for better than a year, when I removed it, I found that the liner had deteriorated to a very fragile state, as I had this helmet for over twentyfive years, and had not notice any deterioration in the liner until it had been placed on the foam head, I have to assume that the foam accellerated the deterioration, wool caps seem to do fine, but I think that if the oils that are present in many leathers come in direct contact with the foam in a manner that does not allow any air circulation, then I think that there may be a possibility of reaction. I have no hard evidence, but I have become cautious about leaving head gear on a foam hed for extended perionds of time with out a barrier. (Painting with a high quality laytex paint seems to be the easest way for me)
Bes twihses
Gus

zipperheads9 said:
All those Awards and you ONLY notice the DSO ,Mark isit the Gold version ?
Hi Mark (Zippy):

According to The Medal Yearbook, only the Victoria RI DSO was gold. All other issues were silver-gilt. The actual number of EVII DSOs awarded was 78. However, all miniatures of the EVII DSO, and some of the GV issue were gold.

http://tokenpublishing.com/shop.asp?cid=18

This is my silver-gilt GV DSO:

P1010056.jpg

Chas.

Hi Mark:

Your collection and display is so doggone spectacular, the devil (or was it envy?) made me pick that nit. :D

Did you mount the DSO to McCracken's parade bar, or was this done by one of the British medalists like Spink or Intramark?

Again, kudos!

Chas. :notworthy:

Yep... did that one all by my little lonesome........

I've got some new pics I'll need to post as the collection has changed a bit since these were added ....... I've added some stuff... like new 'Haubes..... but I'm sure no one on this site would be interested in seeing :D

Cheers
Mark

Thanks ,I no longer own any DSO mini's i had 2 GVths and one was Gold and one was Gilt .The early GVth were gold and after 1916 they were made in Gilt ,for miniatures . The DSO was issued in a greater number due to the war and the reduction in cost was brought out.
I also had a Order of the bath CIVIL in Gold ,it was early Victorian .
MArk

Mark and Mark:

I plead guilty to hijacking the thread, but I thought the following would fit in nicely, given the DSO discussion.

This arrived in the mail today; an elusive Edwardus VII Rex Imperator miniature in gold. The quality of this tiny gem annihilates the GV issue.

Chas.

ERI-DSO.jpg

First on the haubes -ME Too Me Too. On the DSO Very nice ,what do you do for a living and how can i get a job there? That is Nice.
MArk G :D

Back