Please decode this inscription.

This is on a cartridge case I have. It has the same basic info. I think that there was likely a 'Vize' on the missing piece on the top left. Cheers!

IMG_0140.JPG

I believe that weapon numbers for lances or sabers would be stamped directly on the weapon, not on a separate tag. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your feedback. Have a nice day.I have one more unidentified number on my tschapka.

Attachments

• DSC09953.JPG
    DSC09953.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC09939.JPG
    DSC09939.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 785
Neil Young said:
I believe that weapon numbers for lances or sabers would be stamped directly on the weapon, not on a separate tag. Just my opinion.

They would definitely be on the weapons. I think the weapon number on a name tag would indicate what weapon number an individual soldier was assigned. I am curious about the extra-degens that you see with unit marks on them. These are private purchase mementos of their service time. I speculate that the soldiers would have their private purchase weapon stamped with the same number as the weapon they were issued.

cptbob said:
This is on a cartridge case I have. It has the same basic info. I think that there was likely a 'Vize' on the missing piece on the top left. Cheers!

IMG_0140.JPG

I think it’s only Wachtmeister. The complete labeltext is centered, a Vice Ober or Unter would not fit somehow.
Btw, just for interest, Wachtmeister is a policeman and also an old name for Feldwebel in cavalry or artillery and also in marine (but here for Portepee-Unterofiziere if he is on a ship). In other Arms it was called Feldwebel, which is todays name in all Arms.

The number on the tschapka, I think is an inventory number from a collection, museum, or dealer

Back