Private purchase picklehaub

No I think that it is not okay. Only that the possibility exists. But as I said earlier, this one is not for me. It appears to me to be put together.

Joe, that's an interesting photo AND nice excerpts. From what I can see, the only enlisted feature on it is the cockades. Now that's a man after my own heart as far as taste in upgrading uniforms goes.

:D Ron

Very interesting discussion and once again the OYV and Private Purchase anomalies rise to the surface. I am wondering regarding the helmet plate....screw post or soldered loops with leather wedges?? They could also be soldered prongs.

b.loree said:
Very interesting discussion and once again the OYV and Private Purchase anomalies rise to the surface. I am wondering regarding the helmet plate....screw post or soldered loops with leather wedges?? They could also be soldered prongs.

I think they're screw posts, but the helmet has wider holes for the plate.

poniatowski said:
b.loree said:

I think they're screw posts, but the helmet has wider holes for the plate (photos above). I agree about the plate. IMHO if I were going to upgrade my own helmet, I'd look for the best plate I could find before spending on a yak hair bush or officer stars and spike. Of course, I'd get a big honkin' high spike, even if I had to buy one from Saxony.

I think they're screw posts, but the helmet has wider holes for the plate (photos above). I agree about the plate. IMHO if I were going to upgrade my own helmet, I'd look for the best plate I could find before spending on a yak hair bush or officer stars and spike. Of course, I'd get a big honkin' high spike, even if I had to buy one from Saxony.

That's a seriously enlarged hole to accommodate a front plate screw post. (Are my eyes tricking me, or does it look like there was a metal grommet around the hole at one time?) I wonder what the other side hole looks like, as I can't quite make it out in the photo.

It's a pity that the owner's label has been removed inside the helmet shell.

Best Regards,

Alan

Couldn't have been grommeted Alan.....private purchase with red and green visors, it is a legit officer shell. However, the holes could have been enlarged...are those modern washers? They do not look like the typical grey tin that we know are originals. I would also like to see the back of the wappen to check the solder on those posts second, a front close up to look at the wappen holes.

By B.Loree
Couldn't have been grommeted Alan.....private purchase with red and green visors, it is a legit officer shell. However, the holes could have been enlarged...are those modern washers? They do not look like the typical grey tin that we know are originals.

Yes, you're right Brian, I wasn't thinking. Looks like it is simply the impression caused by the washer around the hole.

I'm curious if the other front plate attachment hole is equally as enlarged as this one is.

Best Regards,

Alan

My thought is (and remember I've been wrong MORE than once! :wink: ) is that the plate was replaced by somebody who wanted the nicer plate. This is a wonderful E.M. plate from the photos, but not consistent with the rest of the helmet. Keep an eye on AOK for a replacement if that proves to be the case!

Back