Prussian Artillery Felt

It maybe just felt which has been hardened over the years that make it very sturdy. I have few of them like that and it makes stitching through very difficult but I managed to hammer needles through LOL

I threatened earlier in this post to go online and look at felt hat maker videos, there are several on how to stiffen a new or old felt hat. No surprise, shellac has been used to stiffen hats for generations! The flakes have to be dissolved in alcohol to a very diluted solution, a solution which can then be sprayed on the felt hat both inside and out. Once dry, steam can be used to shape the felt further. They also mention that the cheapest felt hats are 100% wool while the more expensive have natural fur added like rabbit or beaver. Now I did read years ago, that the Germans had huge rabbit breeding installations set up in their public parks during the war. Obviously, these provided meat but also fur which could be blended into felt for our filz helmets. So, if your filz haube, is a bit floppy spray it with a shellac solution.....or maybe not! :)

Last edited:
LOL - I have the opposite problem - my felt is stiff all the time!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this information gentlemen, good to know everyone’s felts are in good shape. 😊

Back