Prussian Infantry-Helmet M1871 for NCO with Portepee

Sandmann

Dear friends,
I‘m very glad to share my latest acquisition with you. I already bought this fine helmet last year, but I had to fix a losen rear visor first. Since my stiching skills are non-existent, Wojtek was kind enough to stich the rear visor back on. He did an excellent job and even used old thread, so the repair really is nearly invisible (y)🙏:)Thanks again for your help Wojtek(y)🙏:)
The cockade measures 50 mm and has the design of the old officer cockades and the overall stitching of the helmet is very fine. Because the liner is also one of the old officer liners with 13 squared lashes, I think it is a private purchased helmet, also because it doesn't have a stamp on it. Only on the rear visor, the owner carved his name "HILDEBRANDT". Unfortunately, I have no further clues in which infantry regiment the non-commissioned officer with Portepee served in the 1870s. The shop owner had no information on where he got the helmet from.
But in the end, it is a beautiful helmet with which I am very happy. Because the helmet is from the time of Kaiser Wilhelm I, I have customized the helmet stand to look like him this time ;)
9DD04720-594F-4629-81A7-FC184D3A48DE.jpeg
A15B2663-8BB3-49C8-9235-190ED6E17CDD.jpeg43E5F665-66BD-4648-8F0C-E56F8F74C034.jpeg

Nice helmet Sandy! (y)
Wojtek has incredible restorers talents! I almost bought a helmet from that period too, but got passed by a last second bidder on French e-bay
unfortunately.

Regards, Coert.

Well done Sandy. An excellent representative example of post-Franco-German War reorganization and refitting. Congratulations. Very nice.

Back