Prussian Pioneer enlisted helmet, recent O.V.M.S. Ohio show find

ww1czechlegion

I found this at the recent O.V.M.S. Ohio Show last Friday.

Nicely marked to the 30th Pioneer Regiment, dated 1913. A nice large size 59 helmet, marked on underside of back visor. A very small Depot issue mark on visor reads: "B.A. VIII" with a tiny date below, which I guess would most likely match the larger 1913 date inside the helmet. Looks like the former owner/wearer marked the visor with his initials "H F".

Unfortunately the front visor trim is split completely in half. I seem to find them this way quite frequently as of late. How did they ever get split completely in half like this? It's the million dollar question for me. It takes a considerable amount of bending back and forth to split this metal in half. I have 6 or 7 spare Neusilber visor trim pieces. Hopefully one will match up on this larger size helmet. The dealer who found this helmet out of the woodwork drilled two very tiny holes in the back side of the visor trim halves, and wired them together with a small piece of wire. It does the job for now, keeping the trim in place on the visor. Otherwise he said the visor trim halves would fall off the front visor, pivoting on the domed split brads at the sides of the visor.

Helmet came with a nice M15 pigskin leather chinstrap with steel fittings which I can use on one of my M15 helmets. I replaced it with a nice spare original Pioneer chinstrap with Neusilber fittings that I had waiting at home. I also added a Prussian kokarde which had been missing from the helmet. I swapped out the National kokarde that came with the helmet for a much nicer example which matches the condition of this helmet. The white ring was almost entirely missing on the kokarde that came with this helmet.

Best Wishes,

Alan

101_8000.JPG

101_8001.JPG
101_8002.JPG

101_8003.JPG

101_8004.JPG

101_8007.JPG

101_8010.JPG

101_8011.JPG

Nice, my first was a pioneer helmet. I’m partial to Pioneer but have very little Imperial Pioneer items. When I collected Turd Reich I had many Pioneer uniforms and caps.

The sole pioneer that I have in my collection is marked to PB 29. It is complete, except for a repro chin strap no issues. The only explanation for split visor trim is the shrinkage of the leather shell and visor. However, it is hard to understand how the force generated by this can split the metal trim…..but it does. ☹️

Nice find Alan! I like these silver fitted helmets although they are hard to find particularly with Issue markings in my experience.

Shame about the visor trim but as has been observed from several quarters, this seems to happen a lot. The Bavarian Pioneer/Leibgarde helmet I posted recently has the same issue although the crack is limited to the underside. My other Bavarian Leibgarde helmet has had the leather visor shrink causing a gap between the leather and the visor.

I'd be interested to know what causes the visor to crack from a metallurgical perspective.

Love it Alan, these OR Pioneer helmets are under rated in my book, much harder to find then regular ones.

James

Thanks James, I totally agree with you that these OR Pioneer helmets are under rated, and much harder to find than regular infantry helmets.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Nice find!
I have been struggling to change the chin strap of a helmet that is considered as a fake, but no luck.
I ended up with four pioneers and no chance to change the chinstraps.
The loops do not fit the "91" slots.
And chinstraps with white metal loops and clasps are quiet impossible to find....

Beautiful!
Concerning the cut in the visor trim, it's a fold in 2 caused by lateral crushing, then unfolding by the soldier, and this was repeated several times during the helmets' eventful life at the front.

I have a postcard of L.I.R. 53, sent from the field 5.5.1916, showing a buckled and broken visor trim, so rough handling at the time also has something to do with it.
Regards,
Lars

View attachment 38305
View attachment 38300
What I think to see here: the Überzug/cover is partly seen. Only attached by its metal hooks on the visor trim. The Überzug has dislodged from the sides and the neckguard.

Back