Prussian Pioneer enlisted helmet, recent O.V.M.S. Ohio show find

Nice photo. I understand how easily this would occur but would have thought the soldier would have had to have the helmet repaired or loaned out another if he were on leave, at garrison, etc. The young man and the photographer makes it look okay.

It always baffles me how even so long ago, they could make such sharp and detailed photographs. Both the studio portrait and the grouppicture are really great photos!

Reactions: ccj
He does make it look okay. How many of us have had helmets with broken visor trim in our collections? I traded away mine but wish Id kept at least the R109 helmet since its hard to find unit... Hard call. Liven and learn, well, sometimes

Yes, the subject had to remain still for several seconds while the image was captured. This an exceptional photo. Yes, broken and missing visor trim….the curse of the pickelhaube collector! ☹️☹️

It always baffles me how even so long ago, they could make such sharp and detailed photographs. Both the studio portrait and the grouppicture are really great photos!
I’m often amazed how often these photos are crisp with sharp details. You can really see nice details on many original photos.

Perhaps the helmet was provided by the photographer? The brim is also damaged along with the trim, I wouldn’t think that would be allowed. I almost think he should be wearing an M15? A great photo in any case!

Perhaps the helmet was provided by the photographer? The brim is also damaged along with the trim, I wouldn’t think that would be allowed. I almost think he should be wearing an M15? A great photo in any case!
Phillipe:

That's a great photo!

I have a hard time picturing an OR showing up on a Prussian Parade Square wearing a helmet with a broken visor.

Good point, the helmet does not match the uniform. It could very well be a photographer prop.

Could also be a boy playing dress up, its all speculation at this point :unsure:

Regardless its a great photo showing the dreaded broken visor trim. :mad:

Back