Prussian Pioneer Reserve Officer

Steve Nick

This is a Pattern 1871 officer’s helmet updated as per 1897 Reichkokarde regulation. This one escaped “the downsizing” as I just have a fondness for silver fitted helmets.

There were 28 Pioneer battalions in the Prussian Army, 24 of which wore the Prussian Line eagle in silver as their helmet Wappen. This officer’s Reserve status is indicated by the use of a brass Iron Cross incorporating the motto “Mit Gott fur Koenig und Vaterland” and 1813. The Prussian line eagle Wappen for Reservists therefore has no bandeau on it.

Chinscales are flat as for foot based troops and in brass for all Prussian Pioneer battalions. The only paper label inside the helmet is a size “54 ½” installed by the manufacturer or the retailer.

This helmet has a removable spike although the 1st Brandenburg Pioneer Battalion "von Rauch Nr.3 was the only non Garde, Pioneer battalion entitled to wear parade plumes. As the oldest Prussian Pioneer battalion they wore a Wappen featuring the old style Grenadier Eagle with a FWR cypher.

Question. Were Pioneer officers (with the exception of the Garde and 3rd Battalion) entitled to wear Parade Bushs under any circumstances?

Attachments

• DSC_1499 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1499 Re-Sized.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_1503 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1503 Re-Sized.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_1510 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1510 Re-Sized.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_1513 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1513 Re-Sized.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_1516 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1516 Re-Sized.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_1506 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1506 Re-Sized.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 39
According „Die Uniformen der Deutschen Armee I“ from publisher Moritz-Ruhl (1903), Pioneer-Reg. No. 12 and 22 wore also Paradebushes.

Sandy:

Thanks for taking the time to do that bit of research I will add that information to my database.

Cheers:

Steve

Steve you know of course that PB12 and PB22 were Sachsen Btln.

Very nice Pionier officer. I also am partial to helmets with silver fittings. I have about 20 helmets left in Neusilber after the last purge.
Tony:

Yes. Thanks.

When I said I'd add that information to my database I meant just that. I've created a database in MS Access that allows for very quick searches of the Imperial Army based on specific criteria such as "which Pioneer battalions were entitled to wear parade bushes?' or "how many units were garrisoned in Regensburg? etc. There are other ways of getting answers I haven't committed to memory but these answers can be found in seconds.
Of course it requires accurate data entry and a decent database design.

I did mention "Frivolous pursuits" didn't I?

Steve

I benefited greatly from your downsizing. Five excellent helmets if I recall. Thank you again.

Here is what I use. I refer to it very often. Every unit’s helmet details clearly explained.

Reiner, H. (2000) Militaerische Kopfbedeckungen Der Kaiserzeit Motorbuch Verlag, Stuttgart

58E9FC2B-3D71-4D2E-AA2C-E0F05461A01F.jpeg

Not sure if I have that book .
I have some of their books
but that cover don't ring a bell ?
Steve

I benefited greatly from your downsizing. Five excellent helmets if I recall. Thank you again.

Here is what I use. I refer to it very often. Every unit’s helmet details clearly explained.

Reiner, H. (2000) Militaerische Kopfbedeckungen Der Kaiserzeit Motorbuch Verlag, Stuttgart

View attachment 18098
Tony:

I have that reference as well and I use it quite often. Actually, the format of the book was what inspired me to develop the database. I find it a great way to zero in on what a helmet should look like in terms of fittings and distinctions.

Re. the downsizing; I'm glad that some of my helmets found their way into your collection. They couldn't have ended up in a better place.

There are a few that I regret selling now, but you can't keep this stuff forever.

Cheers:

Steve

Steve:

Nice helmet. I also have a 10th Hanoverian Pioneers officer's helmet. Regular Army not Reserve.

I'm curious .

I've seen 4 or 5 helmets to the 10th and they all had a non-regulation height spike on them. Does yours?

Steve
Not sure that I know what regulation height of an officers spike is .
Fill me in on the height and I will check mine .
I have seen Saxon officers helmets with very tall spikes
Steve

So, I think my question remains unanswered.

My research indicates that no Prussian Pioneer Battalion that wore the Line style Prussian Wappen was entitled to wear parade plumes/bushes.

So, was the fact that this helmet has a screw-off spike just an attempt to make transporting it more convenient?

My research indicates that no Prussian Pioneer Battalion that wore the Line style Prussian Wappen was entitled to wear parade plumes/bushes.

So, was the fact that this helmet has a screw-off spike just an attempt to make transporting it more convenient?
Many private purchase helmets have a removable spike regardless of the unit the Officer or Troop was assigned to.
This is very common.

John

Steve, most officer helmets have detachable spikes, while only a small fraction wore a Haarbusch. Yes you are right, a screw-off spike is infrequently associated with this parade accessory (and it is not rare to see non-detachable spikes on helmets from Haarbusch wearing units...).
Only 3 Pioneer battalions, out of 30, wore a Haarbusch.
I see John already responded... too late.

I guess I should have phrased my question differently. I've been collecting for close to 50 years now. Started in high school, so, I'm aware that officer helmets sometimes have detachable spikes.

I'm just unclear as to why you'd buy a screw-off spike when it's not required? They must have been more expensive given the extra parts and labour. The only motivation that comes to mind is the same motivation that inspired the M15 detachable spike, ease of transport and head clearance in the field?

Maybe good manufacturers offered as many options as possible to easily update the helmet in any direction. Manufacturers also offered silver-plated or real silver stars, it all depended on the buyer's ego or wallet.

Back