Prussian Unterzahlmeister Pickelhaube

pjm

A nice Prussian Unterzahlmeister Pickelhaube, pre-1905, size marked 58.

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_132314221_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230331_132314221_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20230331_132342224.jpg
    IMG_20230331_132342224.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230331_132331208_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230331_132331208_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230331_132307162.jpg
    IMG_20230331_132307162.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I guess I should have said Unterzahlmeister based on information on this site.

Attachments

• Unterzahlmeister.jpg
    Unterzahlmeister.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
But it is missing the small eagle, James wanted to mention that. Anyway, a nice helmet, congratulations.

But it is missing the small eagle, James wanted to mention that. Anyway, a nice helmet, congratulations.
According to the regulations posted above the Unterzahlmeister does not have the eagle insignia. A photo included in the thread below shows an identical configuration in which you wrote "I interpreted the text exactly like Wojtek, but since Glenn's quote came from the „Armee-Verordnungsblatt“ I guess his Helmet wore no little eagle."

Last edited:
not trying to knock the helmet, but I still think it is most likely a Pioneer officer.

A Unterzahlmeister helmet would have studs instead of stars and the crown on wappen would not be voided.

The helmet shown is clearly an officer helmet.

Just my opinion.

James

Here's an identical helmet (on the right) as shown in the link above.

Attachments

• DSC05647~2.JPG
    DSC05647~2.JPG
    676.2 KB · Views: 37
No it is not the same identical helmet, sorry.

Take a look at the difference in the eagle on your helmet compared to the eagle on the helmet on the right in the photo you posted. One is a regular Line eagle in silver (on your helmet), and the one in the photo on the right you posted is a Reservist silver eagle which does not have the motto banner on the eagle. Notice the different eagles on your helmet and the one posted on post #8 directly above my posting here?

Best Wishes,

Alan

pjm,
First of all, welcome to the forum, and I think that you have a great helmet! However, I believe James is correct.
If you look at the cockade on your pickelhaube, you will notice that each one is accented with two silver rings indicating an officer. At the same time, NCO cockade would have only one silver ring on each. Ergo with the already mentioned stars and voided Adler crown, all in silver, indicate it is a Pioneer officer private purchase pickelhaube.
I am no expert by any means an expert, and I rely heavily on both James's and Sandy's experiences to identify things that I sometimes overlook or have little or no knowledge of in the background on Pickenhalben.
Best regards
John

Just to add to the debate, if it was a pioneer helmet, shouldn’t it have brass chinscales and gilded stars?

Please read the whole text of your linked photo (I translated it with the translation function of my browser). It says that Sub-Paymasters were just soldiers, without officer signs. So in my eyes only the left helmet is a Sub-Paymaster. Please tip on the photo and scroll through the pictures of this gallery, only photos of this helmet were shown.

I don't know how it would come out in the Polish-to-English translation. "The military administration was run by a paymaster, who descended from the old "accountants." The Senior Paymaster (Oberzahlmeister) and Paymaster (Zahlmeister) were mid-level military officials, the subordinate Paymasters (Unterzahlmeister) were soldiers. In general, the Senior-Paymaster was responsible for the staff, and the Paymaster was responsible for managing the clothing, for each battalion or department, and the Sub-Paymaster as "treasurer." Cavalry regiments had only one Paymaster-Officer and one Sub-Paymaster, while Engineering Battalions had 2 Officers and one Sub-Paymaster.All paymasters had to wear uniforms like officers. However, the uniforms of hospital clerks, provincial clerks, garrison clerks and clothing department clerks had white cloth badges instead of cornflower, lemon yellow, light blue and red badges. Paymasters, however, had silver buttons, which were always plain (even for clerks, since they were military). Accordingly, they had silver crescents, silver and blue stripes on epaulettes (Epauletten-Tressen) and loops on (Passanten-Tressen) and epaulettes. Military-Officers also wore a silver-blue Military-Officialsportépee.Pickelhaube had a rounded visor and a plain spike on a round shield, an eagle on a hauberk with a motto and a small eagle.In the last photo, promotion ranks in the form of headgear.

I read about it again and you are right, a sub-paymaster helmet had officially no small eagle (Beamtenabzeichen) on the helmet Wappen (although I think that helmets with such small eagle are original). But it is also described in the „Armee-Verordnungsbl.“ of June 1, 1906 (page 166), that a sub-paymaster helmet would have halfround headed pins in place of the stars to fix the spike.
However, I could imagine that this is a paymaster helmet that lost the little eagle. Have you seen photos of the back, if there are small scratches or signs of wear of such a small eagle? If there ever was such a little eagle, I think it should have left some marks.
F4CBA90F-0A38-4958-B5AA-62121D4BA251.jpeg

Back