Prussian Weissenburger EM pickelhaube

giorgio

Hi to everyone,
few weeks ago I had the opportunity to handle a pickelaube a little bit more different from those I saw till now.
You know I'm a beginner in this field but I was really intrigued.
I started making some researches on line (first of all in this forum)., books and specialized magazines..and I think I've started to learn a little bit more about
At the end I decided to enter it the collection even if, for my level of knowledge, it was already on higher grades, maybe not due to its extreme particularity, but not to go too far from my initial collection stages.
W're talking about the metal pickelhaube, what the advaced collector call “kit-pickelhaube”.
I've read that, correct me if I'm wrong, towards the end of 1914 the factory Hermann Weissenburger of Stuttgart receive an order of metal pickelaube for the prussian army (while the Farm Gebrüder Bing AG will equip the Bavarian Army)
I've read as well tha somone refer at them as “ersatz” but it seems that due to the huge number of helmets ordered we can't refer to them like that.
The features of these helmet are several. And I've learned from this forum and others sources, to look for some peculiarities that these hemets must have such as the particular size and form of the rosettes and to the fact that the chinstraps shoud have rivets and not be sewn, the “false” rivets at the base of the spike, the particular method of assembling, the particular way in which the plate is fixed etc etc....
In this example just the “Reich” rosette has the requested feature and the chistrap is sewn without rivets.
One thing that I think it should be a little bit more rare is the fact that, inside, is still present the felt cap
Ok, I leave the word to the pics, and of course feel free to add any kind of opinions, criticisms, observations and corrections....
All my best from Turin
Giorgio

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 26
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
more...

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 13
and the last ones..
Thanks a lot to everyone...

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 13
A very nice helmet! To have the felt inside still present is indeed rare. I have a Gebruder Bing one, and a Von der Heiden kithelmet in my collection, this one sure looks just like my Von der Heiden helmet. Is there any markings to be seen inside the front visor of your helmet?

Congratulations Giorgio,
Looks like an original helmet in very good condition.
The Preussen Kokarde looks different from the Reich Kokarde indeed, can't tell you if it is original.
The chin strap looks original, but not contemporary to the helmet. Rather it looks like an earlier design for the "end points" (Zugschnallen Metallösen), which became less solid later on.
Regards,
Lars

EDIT: the correct German word for the "end points" is Metallösen

Last edited:
Congratulations! Your helmet is in excellent condition and very similar to my VdH Prussian kit helmet. This firm always used gold paint to stencil their name on the rear visor. They also used the same paint to “number” the size of the helmet. I would check for any traces off this gold paint. I have never read that the chin straps on these should be riveted, mine like yours is not. We have a thread here on the forum where members have posted photos of these helmets mine included so check that out. One last thing to mention,….your liner snap fitting and felt skull pad are exactly like mine as is the spine nut. I suspect this to be a VdH helmet. My opinion only. 🙂

Congratulations! Your helmet is in excellent condition and very similar to my VdH Prussian kit helmet. This firm always used gold paint to stencil their name on the rear visor. They also used the same paint to “number” the size of the helmet. I would check for any traces off this gold paint. I have never read that the chin straps on these should be riveted, mine like yours is not. We have a thread here on the forum where members have posted photos of these helmets mine included so check that out. One last thing to mention,….your liner snap fitting and felt skull pad are exactly like mine as is the spine nut. I suspect this to be a VdH helmet. My opinion only. 🙂
Not only your thoughts, but mine too. VdH helmets have stamps on the front visor though..

First of all really, really thanks for your kind opinions and help...(y)(y)
and ...of course some further questions...:):)
The chin strap looks original, but not contemporary to the helmet. Rather it looks like First of all really, really thanks for your kind opinions and help....(y)(y), which became less solid later on.
Regards,
Lars
Lars.. forgive me my ignorance ..:) could you be so kind to explain to me what do you mean with " an earlier design for the "end points" (Zugschnallen)"?
This firm always used gold paint to stencil their name on the rear visor. They also used the same paint to “number” the size of the helmet. I would check for any traces off this gold paint.
After your observations I checked carrefully the front visor of my helmet and.......you are perfactly right....a really faint mark but there is....(y)
Now.....so my helmet it's not a Waissenburger but a Von der Heiden one....correct? (R Von der Heiden..."R" stands for?...forgive me if it's a stupid question)
The factories involved in metal pickelhaube are:
-Weissenburger
-Bing
- Von der Haiden
Are there other factories?

I noted that the "point" of the spike seems "damaged"...is it a feature of this kind of helmet?
Really thanks
Giorgio

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • Clipboard2.jpg
    Clipboard2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 15
The spike tip on your helmet has been slightly damaged through use.
Thanks b.loree...I asked 'cause also in the other pickelaube there is the same "damage"....

regards
Giorgio

Thanks b.loree...I asked 'cause also in the other pickelaube there is the same "damage"....

regards
Giorgio
Hi Giorgio,
This damage can occur, if the helmet was dropped on it's spike, on a hard surface. Like a road, or stones.
It has nothing to do with manufacturing problems, and one can come across helmets with this damage quite often.
I often call it, the signs of times. They had a hard life, and sometimes it shows.
You have bought a very nice helmet, Congratulations!

Regards, Coert.

Hi Giorgio,

I absolutely love your helmet! I have a couple of examples, but nowhere near in as nice condition as yours.

Congratulations on such a great find!

Bryan.

They lightened the chin strap by removing a semi-circle from the “end points”

View attachment 27823
I do not agree with that.
There were two patterns of chinstraps "keys", and both are encountered as well on peace time helmet as on Ersatz-helmets. It´s not a matter of time, rather a matter of helmet makers.
I have in my collection different genuine and untouched helmets, soon and late productions (stamped between 1900 as 1915) that are wearing those two patterns.

This one, an old dated 1902 helmet, named and tracked (wearer was taken prisoner on 20.9.14 during the last day of Battle of the Aisne, near Autrêches) came across for a few weeks, still with it´s original Überzug. It is showing the plain pattern ;)

det8.JPG

det17.JPG

And here a late Saxony TR12 Ersatz helmet, 1915 stamped:

train saxon 3.JPG

train4.JPG

Philippe

Thanks Philippe,
I don't have any proof either way, but have seen the type without the semicircular cut-out predominantly on older helmets.
Have you ever seen steel field grey Zugschnalle Metallösen without the semicircular cut-out?
Regards,
Lars

EDIT: the correct German word for the "end points" is Metallösen

Last edited:
Back