Question about Bavarian Pickelhaube

awozny1965

Hi,

I bought this Pickelhaube many years ago in Germany but the seller did not have any background information about it. If anyone could shed some light on what exactly it is, its rarity, or any additional background information I would be very thankful for.

Attachments

• Bayern.jpg
    Bayern.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Bayern1.jpg
    Bayern1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Bayern3.jpg
    Bayern3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Bayern4.jpg
    Bayern4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Bayern5.jpg
    Bayern5.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 20
Lovely pickelhaube reserve officer from private purchase.Congratulations Andreas!
Wojtek.
Thanks Wojtek. I saw in some other threads were people were able to determine if this is heavy cavalry, versus train versus line infantry and so on. Is there a way to determine anything like that from the pictures?
Thanks

To me it looks like a very nice Chevauxleger helmet, and indeed like Wojtek stated private purchase.
But what stands out to me, it has the large wappen, but with no vines, so quite rare. Check Tony's site for this, I will post a link here.
If you scroll down, to the wappens, you will see what I mean. It looks like you have the 1914 model wappen on your helmet.
I like it a lot!

Regards, Coert.

To me it looks like a very nice Chevauxleger helmet, and indeed like Wojtek stated private purchase.
But what stands out to me, it has the large wappen, but with no vines, so quite rare. Check Tony's site for this, I will post a link here.
If you scroll down, to the wappens, you will see what I mean. It looks like you have the 1914 model wappen on your helmet.
I like it a lot!

Regards, Coert.
Coert,
thank you very much for your answer. I checked Tony's site and I saw what you are referring to in regards to leaves and vines. I would have never noticed the difference staring at mine and different pictures for the next 20 years :)
I also read on the Rittmeister webpage something about convex versus flat chin scales being the difference between cavalry and infantry, but I am not quite sure what that is supposed to mean. I looked at mine and they look rather convex than flat so this might be another indication of it to be a cheauxleger helmet (see attached picture)
Thanks
Andreas

Attachments

• Bavarian6.jpg
    Bavarian6.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 7
Have a look, this should help clarify: https://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh05.htm

dbh05.jpg

Back