Rare Saxon Field Artillery Regt 28 shoulder strap Feldgrau

KAGGR#1

Just in yesterday a Rare single shoulder strap for Saxon Field Artillery Regt 28. The strap still retains
the Russian cypher .Before the cypher was awarded to the regiment it wore the # 28 . The cypher was awarded late
and worn only until the war started with Russia . At that time the regiment went back to wearing the # 28 again .
After the pre war Saxon straps with the square tops for enlisted men the straps took on a new look with the pointed ends
for Feldgrau and even the Friedensrock straps .
SteveSaxon F A R 28.jpeg

Very nice, any idea what year they were awarded the cypher? I had no idea the Saxons dropped the square ends for the feldgrau uniforms

Brian ;
I will look it up .I am sure that that info is in Mike Kelso's book on I G shoulder straps
From memory I think it was sometime in 1914 .What is hard to find is the pre war enlisted
green strap with the Russian cypher FAR 28 .I know of only 3 examples in this country
I have the officers examples .I just put these on the scanner to show the cyphers and the Russian crowns .
The strap on the left has red underlay .The one on the right has white underlay .Note the difference in the crowns
for the same regiment.

SteveF A R 28 cyphers and crowns.jpeg

Brian there’s no such thing as a squared Feldgrau strap. The entire confederation adopted the M1907 slip on Feldgrau strap with pointed end.

Ahh, more standardization along Prussian lines. 😊 Beautiful cyphers on those Officer straps Steve.

Brian ;
Here is another FAR28 with piping . According to Mike Kelso's book "Under Arms for the Kaiser ;
shoulder straps of the I G Army regiments 1871 -1918 " The cypher of Czar Nicholas II
was awarded 19 June 1914 and discontinued in 1917 on page 365 , so only worn for a brief time .
The regiment was raised in 1872 and was with the XII A K Garrison was Bautzen .
Tony S. has 1 of the 3 e m pre war straps that I know of .Maybe he will post it for us .Tony also has
a Saxon FAR 28 e m Waffenrock with the # 28 shoulder straps .
SteveFAR 28  F G w p.jpeg

Back