Rebuilding a Grenadier Arty

Really good idea with the Fibreglass..I‘m very impressed about your work on this Cinderella-Helmet 👏🏼👏🏼

Al right moving along liner repair work .

I used deer skin leather because I was able to skive it thin thin and it remained supple . I used contact leather glue . You spread it on both pieces then touch them together . Instant bond and bendable.

Prepping for liner re-installation.
I will be using thick super glue to instal the liner . I know , I know it should be sewn in but I think that the liner may not make it and may just crumble or be worst for the ware.
So glue it will be.

I ran a bead of super glue over the thread line to stabalize it and give me somethng for the glue to stick to.

Then I smoothed things out with a dremel then repeated the process and Dremeled that as well.

As the liner glue cures out I decided to sew on the visors.
It gets easier each one I do .
But this was a tad easier because I did not have to fight the liner.

Remember dull the point of the needle.
It makes it sooo much easier when fishing for those holes.

Bills on and 2 coats of black shoe dye.
I will cover everything with shoe polish when I am ready.

The underside of the visor s are BLACK

I usually see this with a fireman's helmet .
Have any of you guys seen this before ?

In one word: WOW! :thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up:

As for your question about the black visors; many is the front visor I saw with a black inside - on helmets with fiber visors it's even very common, at least it was among the pieces in my long gone collections.

The back visor... I wonder if it doesn't simply look black, while in fact being very dark brown leather.

Looking good. As to visor color same as what Jaap said. I have some with black visors, but I believe them to be fiber.

aicusv said:
Looking good. As to visor color same as what Jaap said. I have some with black visors, but I believe them to be fiber.

Thanks guys.

No these are thick gauge leather just black .

OK guys , I will call this a wrap. After I dyed the shell black I put a coat of shoe polish and that as all ways nocks the shine down just a little that looks much better.

I had to play around with the replacement front visor trim and had to solder a split rivet for the rear spine.

Before

After

Before

[/quote]

After

I stippled black paint mixed a little with white to get a charcoal look and did not cover 100% . After all, this thing is over 100 years old and the liner would not look new.

Although I do have some that do :thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up:

Before

[/quote]

After

Thanks for the reference link otherwise I would have missed this one. Just an Incredible transformation (y)(y)

Well done. As an "old" Artillery Warrant Officer it can be no surprise that I love Kugelhelme!

Back