Restoration?

chenny

First post here. As shown, all of the parts are present but the visor trim is separated, there are several areas of flaking finish and the rear visor is badly deformed. It is also very dirty. Could this helmet be restored? Thanks!

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 6,455
Last, but I can take additional photos. Thank you again!

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 6,444
I don’t see anything there that could not be either fixed or certainly improved. Check out some of the other restoration posts here to see what can be done.

I think this is a job for Brian :wink:

A very beautiful Reserve Officer helmet of the GR119, GR123 or PB13. Not so common!

Philippe
:wink:

So would you recommend that I not try to restore this myself? I've been checking out the other threads in this sub forum, and while I think I could possibly reform the leather, the visor and finish damage is beyond my capabilities.

The helmet in question was sent to me recently for some restoration work and I have it a part as I write this. I will be posting pics etc shortly. However, I do have a problem regarding the identification of this piece as suggested above...JR 119, 123, or PB 13. Now that I have the helmet in hand, it does not have the characteristics of these Regts. The 2 main characteristics of this piece which do not fit these Regts are the chin scales and the chin scale rosettes/bosses. This helmet has flat neusilber infantry scales and flat neusilber bosses. According to Didier Laine's reference this combination does not fit with the officer helmets from these formations. The first 2, have brass scales and bosses not neusilber. In fact, PB 13 has a crimped Bavarian style spike with silver bosses/brass scales. This officer helmet does have brass stars on the spike base so that does fit, the spike top does unscrew for the parade trichter. So, we have a bit of a problem here lady and gentlemen, recheck the pictures above and consult your reference books, please make some suggestions. :)

Hmm, Brian- Lady and gentlemen? as in only one lady? LOL :D

I will go and look through my helmets and my notes and keep you posted.

I have the German Wurt book and all silver military helms have brass/gilted scales.
Of course fire and police have the silver.
Perhaps a post war and on.
I would say fix what you have .
Gilted scales can de had for around $250 if he wants to go in that direction he can do so as his time allows.

Yes Amy, as far as I know you are our lone female collector/member 😊. We are very lucky to have you with us. Mathew, that would be my advice also, add a set of brass infantry scales and you have a very valuable helmet. However, as we shall see there are some real problems with that front visor. The stitching on this helmet is extremely fine, the front visor is going to have to come off. I may even have to make a replacement. :(

You may be able to glue a strip of leather to reinforce the front edge or cut off a little off the ends of the trim in order to save the visor.
I am sure you have thought of this.

I had to cut the ends off of my Grenadire arty visor trim to get it to work because of shrinkage .

Brian, I am the one who is lucky to be here to learn from all the experts. Joining the forum is really better than reading up the reference books. There are so many haubes that appear in this forum which are not found in the books.

I have done a comparison chart for Wurttemberg Officers. I tried copy and base from Excel worksheet but it doesn't work, so I have to take pic of it and then post it here.

IR 119 / IR 123

Didier’s Book showed BRASS BOSSES
Stubbs Page 209 showed brass stars, flat brass CS and silver bosses
Larcade Vol 1 Page 105 showed brass stars, flat brass CS and silver bosses.

PB 13
Didier’s Book showed Bavarian “crisp” spike
Stubbs Page 423 showed brass stars, flat brass CS and silver bosses.

Thanks very much for all your work Amy. Your chart sums it all up....an original set of infantry officer brass chin scales would make this helmet correct.
Yes Mathew, I have cut visor trim to fit on several occasions, very nerve wracking because you only get one chance to make the cut and drill a new hole.
:eek: . The major problem though, is that the visor has shrunk so much that you can't see the stitches, just a line in the finish. :( . This is why the visor although tight is going to have to be removed, hopefully fixed and put back on. The helmet size is 57 1/4 cm and there is a name.."Buk" written in pencil in the shell.

Back