Royal Artillery Home Service Helmet

A

Anonymous

Donna picked this one up for me as a birthday present. It's a super clean Victorian officer's model.

KICX0170.jpg

KICX0169.jpg

KICX0171.jpg

Chas.

Hi Otto:

Thank you for the kind words. I am quite proud of both. However, despite a fresh start, it would appear I am once again posting dud topics. Therefore, I will leave anyone who reads this with a few translations:

HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE: Motto of the Order of the Garter: "Shamed be anyone who thinks evil of it" (often translated as "Evil be to him who evil thinks").

DIEU ET MON DROIT: Motto of British Royalty: "God and my right."

QUO FAS ET GLORIA DUCUNT: "Where peace and glory lead."

Chas.

Hello All: Glad to see we are up and running again. I am ex-Royal Artillery (six fun years) and I think Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt stands for Everywhere Right and Glory Leads Us, Ubique means Everywhere of course and is the tradional Artillery postscript (Similar to Semper Fi). At least that's what we were told in basic trg. Thanks.

Hi Bill and Mike:

Bill, glad to see you here. Joe was trying to track you down as he did not have an e-mail address for you. Much obliged for the improved translation. The motto as you know it is in French. The Latin would read: quo pax gloria ducunt.

Hic et ubique! It's good to have our forum back.

Chas.

That is a very fine helmet. I love all the helmets from this era. If only the soldiers had any idea what was coming! :shock:

Hey Brian,
Don't tell me you were un able to register too! Couldn't you get Margo to do it for you like me, she must like me better. hehehe
Gus

Back