Sometimes Kube offers as well as A. Thies
I think Weitze has offered before
of course the asking prices they want are up there
also the first 2 are auctions only
An e m one is also nice
Before 1992 I had a nice e m with lion top
I will post photo later
Steve
Yeah, Weitze is expensive but at least you get quality. I just made a down payment on a hessian officer’s helmet of the IR 115. Will be a while before I hold it in my hands, but it’s worth the wait. I’d rather have an EM, as it would go along with my EM from the Guards du Corps I already have.

Yes the Hessian L G I R 115 officer is one of the top helmets for a collection
A friend of mine here in town sometime back bought a super almost mint example
from Weitze .I have had it in my hand and it is a class example .
I bought one at the last S O S not as nice as my friend's example from Weitze
but one that I can live with as it is 100 % original and correct .
I am looking for a nice enlisted example of a Hessian L G I R 115 myself
with no luck so far .
Weitze has several examples of an enlisted Baden L G I R 109
but no enlisted L G I R 115 helmets to offer
Steve

I just looked at the Weitze site .I see the LG I R 115 officer helmet is reserved ,
it must be for you .A nice one
Steve

I see nothing wrong with the L G I R 115 officer helmet that awozny1965 is buying from Weitze .
If argonne or GardeUlan see a problem .Please point it out
Steve

As I wrote, it is not a problem with a particular helmet from Weitze. I saw in the past and still now a lot of problematic pieces sold by this seller. I think it is not a surprise if you are collecting for some more years and if you are not a newbie. The descriptions are sometimes so crazy to explain some weird things on helmets that never could have exist in the Imperial Army. Weitze is not an historian, he has only superficial knowledge in how this army really worked (units formation, ranks, garrison life, social aspects of the german society at this time). He first is a seller and he is doing a great job in that. He admits this fact himself as saying he is mostly interested in selling and making money. And sorry to say that, but it will not be a surprise for a few other members here: not only a few helmets in his shop are part helmets that have been fresh assembled in Hamburg.
That´s the reason because I hate officers helmets, they are soooo easy to manipulate and to upgrade, and so expensive.
And yes, I already saw some very dubious helmets from this seller that have been presented here...
But the most important thing is that each collector is happy with the things he is buying (and that he can be sure about the originality).

Sellers often sell shiny dreams...At least one important point remains absolutely positive with this professional seller (and many others): if you are not satisfied, you will get your money back! So always think twice before spending a lot of money! And compare, compare, compare.....When there is only a little doubt, there are no doubts anymore, let the helmet go...

Philippe
;)

Last edited:
Well said Philippe. As I have said many times, do not trust a seller’s description. Every collector has to use their OWN eyes, knowledge, judgment, and compare with other examples. And then compare again and again before making the choice to buy.

Like you, almost all my helmets are Mannschaften and I generally am not interested in officer helmets.

However, back to the thread, Steve that is a blindingly gorgeous Garde Reiter. Congratulations! Big money.

BTW
My Saxon Garde Reiter officers helmet did NOT come from Weitze .
So was not out to defend him .
My question was did someone see something wrong with the Hessian
L G I R 115 officer helmet that awozny1965 is buying ?
Steve

Andreas had me look at it and I didn’t see anything wrong with the piece. Obviously, there are limitations to photos. However, as Philippe has said, Weitze will refund your money if you are not satisfied. He may be only interested in profit but he has realized that reputation is everything in this hobby and if you don’t offer a money back guarantee, experienced collectors will not deal with you and they will warn others new to the hobby. This is DR’s problem, selling fakes and hassling people when they want a refund, then charging them for returning it. Complete BS! 👎 There were several billionaire retail fortunes made on the old phrase.......The Customer is always right! In fact, if the customer has a satisfactory experience getting their money back, they probably will buy from you again.

You are a very lucky man to have that rare helmet Steve. Thank you for sharing it with us here on the forum! 👍

As I wrote on page 1 of this thread , pre 1992 I owned a Saxon Garde Reiter enlisted helmet with lion top .
I also had a super Koller to display with it . I sold it to a collector in Calif .
He later sold out and I am pretty sure that Jason B.bought the collection
and then to Weitze .
Here are the photos of my former display
SteveSaxon G R e m.jpegSaxon G R e m a.jpegSaxon G R e m b.jpeg

As I wrote on page 1 of this thread , pre 1992 I owned a Saxon Garde Reiter enlisted helmet with lion top .
I also had a super Koller to display with it . I sold it to a collector in Calif .
He later sold out and I am pretty sure that Jason B.bought the collection
and then to Weitze .
Here are the photos of my former display
Steve

That’s cRaZy. The quality…. Amazing.

I joined this website a few month ago and decided to leave it for good now. I learned a lot in the short period of time and got to know some great people. As I became interested in these helmets I didn't realize the magnitude of ripoffs and fakes that are out there. I also didn't realize that buying these helmets without being ripped off would turn into a full time occupation.
I want to enjoy my helmets and this site has turned me into a somewhat bitter man when it comes to my private collection. I can't enjoy looking at them anymore, but rather hear the voices of some members, that never seem to have anything positive to say, echoing in my ears. Be humble, compare, don't collect officer helmet's are they are mostly fakes, compare, the chin scales don't look right, this helmet shouldn't have chin scales, compare. To what exactly? More pictures of fake helmets for sale on the internet? To books that show you a front a possibly a side picture of the helmet that is more or less useless?
I don't want to immerse myself into every little detail of these helmets, but rather collect a few and enjoy looking at them. That doesn't seem to be possible, hence I'd rather keep my money than buying pieced together helmets, helmets with fake parts or feeling like an idiot for doing so.
Thanks to those who have helped over the last few months and all the best to the rest of you!

I joined this website a few month ago and decided to leave it for good now. I learned a lot in the short period of time and got to know some great people. As I became interested in these helmets I didn't realize the magnitude of ripoffs and fakes that are out there. I also didn't realize that buying these helmets without being ripped off would turn into a full time occupation.
I want to enjoy my helmets and this site has turned me into a somewhat bitter man when it comes to my private collection. I can't enjoy looking at them anymore, but rather hear the voices of some members, that never seem to have anything positive to say, echoing in my ears. Be humble, compare, don't collect officer helmet's are they are mostly fakes, compare, the chin scales don't look right, this helmet shouldn't have chin scales, compare. To what exactly? More pictures of fake helmets for sale on the internet? To books that show you a front a possibly a side picture of the helmet that is more or less useless?
I don't want to immerse myself into every little detail of these helmets, but rather collect a few and enjoy looking at them. That doesn't seem to be possible, hence I'd rather keep my money than buying pieced together helmets, helmets with fake parts or feeling like an idiot for doing so.
Thanks to those who have helped over the last few months and all the best to the rest of you!
I'm sorry for your experience. Nothing worthwhile is easy. The Garde Reiter pieces shown in this thread are wonderful!

Back