Saxon Garde Reiter

Sorry to read this . I wish that if a collector asks an opinion about a helmet
It is O K for members to answer questions .But IMO negative comments
should be held back unless they are asked for .
None of us know it all .
At least I know that I do not
sorry to see negative comments drive a member away from our site .
That's my take
Thanks
Steve

I fully agree with Steve on this. I am sorry you are leaving us, because you know, we can all be of great help to you.
Never let negative comments bother you, when I joined up here, I had some too, when I bought an officer helmet I was proud of, but it was just a parts helmet..and not worth the money I paid for it. But I learned from it, and moved on to other helmets. And I still can make mistakes, as I also do not have all the knowledge, therefore, before buying a helmet, if I am not sure, I will alway's post it here first, to see what other members have to say about it.
But again, I am sorry you are leaving us, nobody knows it all, but together, we do. I feel sorry the negative comments drive you away.
I for one, like most, only give comments on how it should be, but never in a negative way.
I hope you will stay.

Regards, Coert.

I joined this website a few month ago and decided to leave it for good now. I learned a lot in the short period of time and got to know some great people. As I became interested in these helmets I didn't realize the magnitude of ripoffs and fakes that are out there. I also didn't realize that buying these helmets without being ripped off would turn into a full time occupation.
I want to enjoy my helmets and this site has turned me into a somewhat bitter man when it comes to my private collection. I can't enjoy looking at them anymore, but rather hear the voices of some members, that never seem to have anything positive to say, echoing in my ears. Be humble, compare, don't collect officer helmet's are they are mostly fakes, compare, the chin scales don't look right, this helmet shouldn't have chin scales, compare. To what exactly? More pictures of fake helmets for sale on the internet? To books that show you a front a possibly a side picture of the helmet that is more or less useless?
I don't want to immerse myself into every little detail of these helmets, but rather collect a few and enjoy looking at them. That doesn't seem to be possible, hence I'd rather keep my money than buying pieced together helmets, helmets with fake parts or feeling like an idiot for doing so.
Thanks to those who have helped over the last few months and all the best to the rest of you!
Sorry that you will leave us and that you feel so. But I think you are wronging some of the members, we all just want to help.
Nevertheless you are right, if a hobby stresses or makes no fun you should switch to another one. Life is to short to do something you don’t really like. I wish you all the best and if the Pickelhaube-Virus comes back you are invited to join us again 😉

I am sorry you are leaving. However, all aspects of militaria collecting have the same issues. The reason there is so much debate is that what we read and research may not always reflect what was actually manufactured and worn so collectors must share information. For me a good case in point of how this web-site has promoted important original research despite all this bickering is the recognition that the large number of 1842 Model officer helmets that come up for sale with the "wrong" plates are actually upgrades to original helmets by old guard career officers who serve with Landwher commissons in their later years. They doubtless retire and the helmets pass on to the family as heirlooms until they reappear so many years later.

Hi awozny1965,
Sometimes ignorance is bliss, however I personally prefer to know if what I have is most likely original and correct. The fakes and rip-offs are a very negative side of militaria collecting, but I imagine that's the case with any collecting field where good money is to be made. There is an enormous amount of knowledge and experience on this forum, and if something is deemed incorrect with an item then people will tell you, which I think is one of the purposes of this forum. On the other hand, nobody here claims to know it all, they're opinions. I've hardly ever seen any negative comments, which is something entirely different from a critical comment about an item.
Hope you recover the joy of collecting,
Regards,
Lars

Hi awozny1965,
Sometimes ignorance is bliss, however I personally prefer to know if what I have is most likely original and correct. The fakes and rip-offs are a very negative side of militaria collecting, but I imagine that's the case with any collecting field where good money is to be made. There is an enormous amount of knowledge and experience on this forum, and if something is deemed incorrect with an item then people will tell you, which I think is one of the purposes of this forum. On the other hand, nobody here claims to know it all, they're opinions. I've hardly ever seen any negative comments, which is something entirely different from a critical comment about an item.
Hope you recover the joy of collecting,
Regards,
Lars
Lars,
first of all, thanks to you and all the other members before you, for the encouraging words. I couldn't agree more, this is an awesome forum with very knowledgeable people. It is not about criticizing an item especially if someone is asking for input. This is exactly what this forum is all about in my opinion. It is more about unsolicited comments. I don't need anybody to tell me that he hates officer helmets after I just spent over 8k buying one. Or that they are mainly fakes, put together or upgraded helmets. That is what takes away from my joy about a helmet that I will be paying off over a considerable amount of time. A helmet for which I have to make substantial sacrifices and which is supposed to be the crown jewel of my collection.
All the best
Andreas

Hallo Andreas,
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hessian helmet you bought, with respect to originality and authenticity. A rare and prestigious model! You know there are problems, sometimes, with officer helmets, therefore you should be even happier to have purchased this one!
All in all, I only see a very positive experience for you here...

Very sorry to hear of this decision Andreas but of course I understand your reasoning. It is really too bad that a new collector such as you got burned by a an idiot dealer. Preventing this is in fact, one of the prime directives of this forum. As Bruno says, that Hessen 115 Officer, is a beautiful piece and totally correct, please enjoy it as very few collectors have one. I would also encourage you to keep watching and learning here so that if you do decide to make a helmet investment in future, we can advise you. I wish you all the best.

Sometimes Kube offers as well as A. Thies
I think Weitze has offered before
of course the asking prices they want are up there
also the first 2 are auctions only
An e m one is also nice
Before 1992 I had a nice e m with lion top
I will post photo later
Steve
Thanks to all
Steve

Back